• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disk Boot Failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BIB

i just got a new hd and tried to clone my old hd to my new hd. I clone it and when i boot off of it i get DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I was using the norton ghost program that i have. Since that did not work i then tried to make a backup ghost of my old hd. then when that was done i did restore from a ghost backup. I restored to my new hd and still i get that everytime i boot up.
what is wrong it should have booted up? I am using it in the same computer. my old hd has 2mb cache and this new one has 8mb cache and this is why i would like to switch it over.
so i put in the system disk and it said usbhub.sys is corrupt hit enter. when i hit enter it could not fix it.
so now everytime i boot up it get that error message, but when i put in the winxp pro disk, it just gives me the option to install windows or do the emergency repair.

so how can i fixed this problem? Will i have to completely do a fresh install of xp to the new hd?

edit
Can i do FIXBOOT maybe?

Last edited:
the way i have it setup, is that the new hd is the master and the old is the slave.
When i have both of them hooked up it boots.
when i just have the new one in it does not boot.
then just the old one and it boots.

thanks, but i think fdisk is not for winxp pro.

so now if i need to active the hd with the partition that i would to like to boot off of, how would i do that in winxp pro.

Enter the "repair" console in windows xp pro installation and type in "fixmbr". That should redo the mbr (master boot record) and you should be able to boot up from it. That is my best guess...good luck!

Matt

I just noticed that this is related to another thread.Your best bet is to use the manufacturers disk utility to replace the old drive with the new one.It will partition and copy the disk like Norton's Ghost but it goes step by step for you.If they are both WD's go to their website and download the lifeguard tools.

heres the thing. the drive that i want as the main one has drive letters F and G. (F = winxp pro)so windows, i think, is looking for that C: and is not finding it.
so will fixmbr work, or do i have to active the partition using the program computer management under the control panel?

thanks i will give it a try.
but i will use the one under control panel, performance and maintenance, administrative tools, computer management.
you can set the active partition from there. i will try this tomorrow and post back on how it went.

well i did fixmbr, fixboot and tried to repair the windows installation. None of those worked and i am pretty sure all i have to do is set it to active. But i just figured i will do a nice clean install. Fresh installs are always better.

Back