• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gonna build another OC32United Box (AKA RageKiller!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoMoses

If you haven't seen these threads already, you should read them first.

1. OC32United
2. Group Purchase

I've decided to build a Dual CPU dedicated folder, in the spirit of the "group purchase" thread. This box will fold under "OC32United" so it's not padding any person's stats. This is what I plan on building:

Asus A7M266D......................$215
Duron 1GHz (X2)...................$80
Copper dynatron HS (X2)......$48
256 MB Crucial PC2100.........$50
Cheap video card..................$20
Hard Drive.............................$65

This comes to a total of $478. I'm going to Donate $50, a case, and a 500W PS.

So, we need to raise approximately $425 If we can get the money together by July 1, I will build this system. My Paypal account: [email protected]

To keep me honest, post in this thread how much money you send. If I do not receive enough money, all will be refunded to. Any extra will be refunded, as well.

And, if anyone has a vid card, HD, heatsinks, or RAM they would donate, the money needed would drop accordingly.

Let's see how quickly we can build a RageKiller!!!

parts

You could get a smaller used HDD for much less
and 128Mb of crucial instead of 256MB

Might have a video card to donate in a few weeks...

Re: parts

Arkaine23 said:
You could get a smaller used HDD for much less
and 128Mb of crucial instead of 256MB

Might have a video card to donate in a few weeks...

I know the HD is overkill, but most places only stock 20 GB and higher drives. All prices above are from Newegg. Anyone know where to get cheap Hard Drives with life left in them?

Go to Ebay. You can get smaller drives there for cheap.

I'll throw some cash after I pay bills this week.

Wedo

OK, I've been doing some re-evaluating, and decided I could nab some parts from my main rig (in sig.) I'm gonna steal a stick of RAM and break up the RAID array.

So, assuming I can get a NIC and Vid card from Portorock, all that is still needed is:

Mobo -- $215
CPUs (2) -- $80
Heatsinks(2) -- $48

I remember seeing something about cheap, good performing heatsinks. anyone know where I can get them?

NeoMoses said:
OK, I've been doing some re-evaluating, and decided I could nab some parts from my main rig (in sig.) I'm gonna steal a stick of RAM and break up the RAID array.

So, assuming I can get a NIC and Vid card from Portorock, all that is still needed is:

Mobo -- $215
CPUs (2) -- $80
Heatsinks(2) -- $48

I remember seeing something about cheap, good performing heatsinks. anyone know where I can get them?

I ordered a ax-7 from newegg. I think it was $28 plus shipping
you need to see if newegg has the refurbished tyan 2460 in stock I seen them for $125 only problem is you will need registered ddr

Not that I doubt this or anything, but I am always a skeptic of people asking for money... but it is a noble project.

I'd definitely try to scrape the unimportant stuff like the HD from parts that people have around here. No need for a new HDD, just one of about 3 gb in size that functions.

In the future I'd be more inclined to donate if these boxes were to be located somewhere centrally, i.e. Skip's or a Mod's.

Best of luck,

sb

yeah, it doesn't seem like there is much interest in this at the moment. For now, the spare part swapping seems like the way to go.

I'm gonna go ahead and build another system, but it'll just be a single CPU, probably XP1600 or 1700. With any luck, I'll get an AROIA, and be able to hit 1900 MHz (or higher) and get almost the same performance.

So, assuming I can get a vid card and NIC from portorock, I should have another box up and folding in a week or 2.

SickBoy said:

In the future I'd be more inclined to donate if these boxes were to be located somewhere centrally, i.e. Skip's or a Mod's.

Best of luck,

sb

Don't look at me...the Mrs is already pizzed at our electic bill...LOL :eek: :( :D

Mr B said:

Don't look at me...the Mrs is already pizzed at our electic bill...LOL :eek: :( :D

Yeah.. I know....

I remember when you had trouble getting her to permit running the third rig.... isn't it up to like 4 full time now and 2 part time?

SickBoy said:

Yeah.. I know....

I remember when you had trouble getting her to permit running the third rig.... isn't it up to like 4 full time now and 2 part time?

I wish...the P/// is off for now, (I downed the slowest rig, natch...) soon to be reconfigured somewhat for her use. She's working in the offices at the Pontiac dealership I'm at...I promised to set that rig up for her to work on and get used to how the NT platform works (Folding will be installed on it when it's ready to go again...LOL)

The P II's are in limbo at the moment...the shelving is built (ala "stymee's" rigs), but the last electric bill got the Mrs riled up.... :( They're ready to get assembled, but on hold for now.

It's looking like my upgrade path lies in dual CPU rigs...fewer machines with more cpu's will keep the electric bill lower.

*sigh* On a good note...she thinks I've got just two up right now...the third AMD rig is running in "stealth" mode...no LED's, no KB/mouse/monitor, with stuff piled up on top like it's not being used....;)

B.

Both newbie_doo and skip have volunteered if I remembered to run rigs. I would, but no space in the house. Skip is looking for two MP processors and he will have a dually running.

Mr B said:

1) "pizzed"??? What's that?
2) You "promised" me this wouldn't happen!!! (Remember???)Come on.

ok, but you still have to chase me to the top. Maybe a little slower in the summer, but you still gotta. lol. ;)

NedClocker said:

1) "pizzed"??? What's that?
2) You "promised" me this wouldn't happen!!! (Remember???)Come on.

ok, but you still have to chase me to the top. Maybe a little slower in the summer, but you still gotta. lol. ;)

Vizually reverze the "z's"....doez that make more zenze now?? LOL ;)

I fully intend to chase. I don't see me catching, but I will endeavor to chase....:cool:

B.

ok, so long as she is pizzed at the electric bill and not at you. :)

My last electric bill was noticably higher - higher than it should be for May. About $160.00.

There's an idea for a new thread! "How High Is Your Electric Bill???"

Last edited:
So, it looks like the system will be an XP1600+ on an 8KHA+. Hopefully I get one of the AROIA steppings, and it'll clock somewhere around 1700 -1900 MHz. It should be in Friday.

Thanks go to Portorock. He sent me a vid card and NIC. I think I'll be trying out Overfoldix, at least until I get my hard drives backed up.

Back