• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frosty Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
blackhawk397 said:
I have a 55 mm peltier and am trying to cool soda, but the hot peltier side gets too hot! How do I fix this. I already tried using an old comp. fan, but it didn't work. HELP!!!
air-cooling peltiers takes a really powerful heatsink, depending on the wattage, but usually anything over 100W needs more than air cooling

Electron Chaser said:
Thanks AT for the the :welcome:

Here is my pic. Granted not a very good pic but I haven't had time yet to do any better.

-40 C

Frosty.JPG

I am finally going to phase change. :thup:

Get a Baker Block mod done...youwill see some serious temp drops. I went form the -40's to the -60's. :)

WA2 said:
Get a Baker Block mod done...youwill see some serious temp drops. I went form the -40's to the -60's. :)

That's from a different charge.

And if you were going to mod it, a chilly1 block is what you'd want.

I like the baker block...does me just fine. :D Have not seen the CHilly1 do anything better.

WOW!!!! And im still getting excited when i go below 40c, you think a good lapping can drop like 100c? LOL!!!!

I really have no idea how these work but how much do one of these systems cost, an average one?

Depends if it's DIY or a bought one. Vapochill's are among the most expensive coming in at around $900, Mach II GT's that are fully decked out with accessories and all come out right in that same neighborhood. Plan Mach II's go for slightly cheaper. Used Mach II's can be had for ~400-500 and Mach I's can be found for very cheap, about as much as a water setup if you buy used. Custom units from say PC_ICE would go for around $500 and you wouldn't get anything fancy, just raw performance and craftsmanship. Tack on a few hundred and they include LCD's, painted kits, windows, ect. Other custom units can be had/built for extremely cheap, anywhere from ~100-300 bucks depending on your components. These figures are just rough estimates, so don't quote me on them for pricing. Just to give you an idea. Phase is worth EVERY PENNY once you have it.

Thats a little steep for what im looking for. I think ill stick with possibly an xp-120. lol :)

I know this question gets asked alot but what is the difference between phase and water cooling?

Jacobman said:
Thats a little steep for what im looking for. I think ill stick with possibly an xp-120. lol :)

I know this question gets asked alot but what is the difference between phase and water cooling?

Plain water is only capable of ambient temps at best, can't get colder without adding a chiller or ice to the water.

Phase change takes temps below ambient. How low just depends on the unit. My Mach II takes the actual CPU temp to about -20C where water right now in this office would have my CPU in the high +30C range. It's a HUGE difference obviously :p

Woot, after three weeks of getting all the parts together and trying to find the time to do it, its done. :D

Unloaded
frosty_unloaded.JPG

And a 170w load from a pelt.
frosty_loaded170w.JPG

I wish I took a pic of it when I had it out in the typical 99% Virginia humidity. It looked like a snowball.

Back