• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA DVD rom vs IDE DVD rom...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

Are DVD roms with SATA connections "FASTER" than DVD roms running from the normal IDE cables? When I say faster i mean burn and install games faster.

Are there DVD roms that suport both connections at the same time (just incase you run out of SATA connectors)

Are there DVD roms that suport e SATA? so the external DVD rom is A LOT faster than an external DVD rom using USB connections.

SATA connections as opposed to IDE: No performance benefit.

I prefer SATA over the IDE due to the size of the cables, thus better air circulation.

Just my 0.02cents

Can an IDE and SATA both exist on an DVD rom at the same time??? ie both connectors on the same DVD rom?

Ya, worthless. The fastest dvd drive I have (16x, not the fastest but still) is still only ata-66, which means you still have some headroom in ide, and I doubt dvd drives can cover that gap in the year and a half since I got this one.

The only advantage I could think of is if you do DVD activities on "double drives" simultaneously, then single IDE port with two DVD drives will be beaten by one PATA drive on IDE port with another one at SATA port (either native sata or using converter).

Fyi, SATA ports capable of doing multitask on each port without depending/waiting on each other. Single IDE port with two PATA devices (harddrive or optical drive) will take turns when using the channel. Hence, in IDE/PATA you need to identify device using slave/master or cable select mechanism.

Bottom line, if you use it just for install game or burning disc from the image originated from harddrive, then there will be no significant difference.

Again, the keyword is concurrent access, and if you have double optical drives and use them both "oftenly".

If you have only one, then forget about sata interface.

Oh dam I have to chose one OR the other... kinda like a HD its either SATA or IDE??? (I havent found a HD that can DO both SATA and IDE)

I currently have 1 DVD and 1 CD drive, cummin off the same IDE cable.

When I try to install a game on the DVD drive and Microsoft office on my CD drive at the same time.... I find that they cant install both programs simultaniously very well

But say If I get two DVD drives running off SATA, then I can install 2 programs simultaniously with ease right?

To hlep me chose between IDE DVD or SATA DVD rom:

Will the MB manufactours eventually get rid of IDE connectors all together? Like how the got rid of the big printer port connectors on the IO seeming new printers run on USB these days.

Mycobacteria said:
Oh dam I have to chose one OR the other... kinda like a HD its either SATA or IDE??? (I havent found a HD that can DO both SATA and IDE)

I currently have 1 DVD and 1 CD drive, cummin off the same IDE cable.

When I try to install a game on the DVD drive and Microsoft office on my CD drive at the same time.... I find that they cant install both programs simultaniously very well

But say If I get two DVD drives running off SATA, then I can install 2 programs simultaniously with ease right?

To hlep me chose between IDE DVD or SATA DVD rom:

Will the MB manufactours eventually get rid of IDE connectors all together? Like how the got rid of the big printer port connectors on the IO seeming new printers run on USB these days.

It also depends if you are installing two things to the same Harddrive or to two different hard drives.

If you are installing two things to one Harddrive, then the Harddrive it self has to do double the work.

Unless you are burning two DVD's at the same time at x16, then yes SATA is a good choice. other wise stick with IDE.

If you Rip CD's at x48 on two CD-Roms at the same time, then YES SATA is a better choice. Other wise IDE is a choice for you.

Stick with IDE.

Although chipset manucfacturer like Intel already dropped IDE port since last year, but looking at the new optical drives that was released recently, seems like IDE/PATA interfaces will still exist for quite some time.

And even latest mobo that was released still carries IDE port.

But I feel once the PATA market request start to decline, and SATA type volume is picking up, then that will the time to jump on sata drive. When, who knows ?

Why don't you just get the SATA rom drives. They'll be alot easier to cable manage. Unless it's insanely expensive/you don't have enough SATA ports I wouldn't care whether I use it or don't use it for burning 2 CD's at once or not. Even if you didn't have enough SATA ports there are add-on SATA cards you can install. But I doubt many of us utilise all the SATA connections.

The SATA Optical drives are just as cheap as the PATA drives, and the selection has really expanded the past few quarters (it used to be that Plextor was the only one doing SATA-Opticals). Just get whichever one makes the most sense for your configuration.

The speed will be identical minus the bus-sharing issues listed above. IIRC, DVD at 16x is only like 22MB/s and CD-R at 48x is like 8MB/s - that is very slow even for an ATA-66 buss :)

:cool:

Well I got a SATA DVD rom... Yes it was the same price as the IDE version.

I only have one gripe... The SATA DVD roms dont use Molex power connectors. So although most of us have pletny of free sata plugs in our MB not a lot of us have lots of free SATA power connectors.

I whish they made the SATA DVD roms like the WD raptors where you can have either Molex power or SATA power connectors.

And yes it still takes just as long to install games, its not like the SATA rom is any faster...

Mycobacteria said:
I only have one gripe... The SATA DVD roms dont use Molex power connectors. So although most of us have pletny of free sata plugs in our MB not a lot of us have lots of free SATA power connectors.

I whish they made the SATA DVD roms like the WD raptors where you can have either Molex power or SATA power connectors

I was thinking the same thing ;) . There is certainly plenty of room for Legacy Power. But I (like most PC dudes I know) have boxes full of Molex-to-SATA adaptors... I prefer to use the "Insulation Displacement" 180* SATA Power Connectors, and place them wherever needed on the length of the wire. These also do wonders to keep the HD power wiring neat and tidy...

:cool:

Back