• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the last 9800 vs 5900 thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emericanchaos

i'm see'ing about 8 posts a day about "what's better FX5900 or radeon 9800?". so this is to sum it all up for everyone.

THEY'RE THE SAME!. one is stronger in some tests while it gets beat in some by the other.

in my opinion 256MB of video ram isn't needed as there's no software that will utilize it. don't use this as a deciding point as to which to buy. it's just going to cost you alot more money and you won't see a difference.

please don't turn this into a fan boy thread about everything we've argued about before. when it comes down to it they're equal. it doesn't matter who cheated on what and who optimised for what. they're the same. buying either one won't be a waste of money so lets not argue over the minute petty differences.

But Pixel Shader 2.0 is way screwed up on the FX series right now... but maybe they will fix it. Anyway yeah they are really close to the same performance.

But cheats do matter if they are only equal because one it cheating. Im not saying one is... but to say cheats are irrelevent is illogical.

yeah, but we all know this will not be the last thread ;)

the "cheat" is pretty irrelevant because the particular benchmark very poorly reflect real world performance, it's just that we stat monkeys value it so much, also why ATI developed with Futuremark...not trying to start an arguement here

it also matters if GFFX can't do FSAA in HL2 and the radeon series can

also telling from the benchmarks and reviews additional ram helps a lot in higher resolutions, but both cards have versions with 256mb

anyhow, they are very close competitors but not exactly the same

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
it also matters if GFFX can't do FSAA in HL2 and the radeon series can

the geforce cards don't because the developers of half life told nvidia and ati than they needed to disable it in HL2 because HL2 doesn't support FSAA and it causes lots of graphic errors in the game, nvidia listened, ati didn't.

Does this hold true for the 9800 non-pro and the 5900 non-ultra?

And one thing I think needs to be said in the "Final thread" is that nVidia doesn't seem to be able to with ATI on price. And to be honest, I can't think of why. I just got a Radeon 9800 Pro refurb from newegg for $267 shipped. A refurb 5900 non-ultra is $10 more.

HOw about 5900Ultra? Hmm...btw, im from Singapore n if i buy visiontek 9800Pro..HOW TO RMA?

HOw about 5900Ultra? Hmm...btw, im from Singapore n if i buy visiontek 9800Pro..HOW TO RMA?

Back