• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a very big drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panzerknacker

Disabled
I'm running a fileserver and I can't find a drive large enough. What I need is a EXTREMELY HUGE harddrive, something like 1tb. It needs to be VERY reliable, it doesnt really need to be very fast, although it shouldnt be slow. My question is, do drives like this exist? I'm using this server to store my own files, I'm sick of using DVD's and stuff I just want a HD. I know this is not going to be cheap, but please understand I don't want the most expensive ones, heh heh.

RAID is your friend :)

Since you want reliability, RAID-0 obiously isn't what you want, and since you want capacity, RAID-1 isn't what you want. I'd try looking into other RAIDs (such as RAID-5) to see what they have to offer. Make sure whatever you want actually comes on a RAID card you can afford though... Lots of RAID cards don't have many of the RAID options, and the coolest RAIDs are on the most expensive cards.

JigPu

Yeah raid would be good but I would need many harddrives. I once read about one single harddrive of 1tb. Where can I find one of these and how do they work?

I have yet to hear of a single ATA 1TB hard drive (consist of many SCSI drives some times up to 35 drives), you may be thinking of a TB SCSI tower. I think the largest for home use is the 350GB or 400GB Maxtor. You would be safer with RAID 5 (needs 3+ drives) over one drive and the over all cost. ex) right now 200GB Seagate and western digital can be nabbed for $99 AR.
A good place to "see" how each of the RAIDs work is http://www.acnc.com/04_00.html

thanks for the help and that link!. As far as I've seen, those raid 4 and 5 and stuff cards are very expensive ($600 and more).

I've found that big drive back. It's 500gig, you can use them dual, making 1tb. Do u guys think they are good?

They are still a little expensive, for $579 u can get more than 2 250gig drives :p

uhm...kill me if i'm wrong...but isnt that...an...external....firewire drive ?_?... is that what you want? (lol, u can always rip the drive out of the case... lol

those are just just a bunch of HDs put into one case. Its still not a 1TB drive.

It will be terribly slow too.

you can open it up and find a bunch of seperate drive "enclosures". (I'm not sure what you call them)

wd400bb_.png

enclosures similar to that.

I believe it are 2 harddrives of 500gig dumped in one case,

It's probably good, but $2K is too much for me.

U have a 200gig WD for $150. 5 x 200 = 1TB. 5 x 150 = 750. Sounds way better to me. One problem, I need 5 SATA (or IDE) connections, so I need to buy alot of PCI cards, which are very expensive with RAID and stuff. Or am I talking crap now?

I would get 4-250gb harda drives. You're aware that this will NOT give you 1 logical terabyte, right? You'd be about 40 gigs off.

I know very little about RAID as a whole, but I think you can get an ok 2-channel card for around $70. With 4 hard drives, you would only need two.

I would go for 5 x 200 instead of 4 x 250, since that is way cheaper. Then I'm on 1000gb, so 24 of 1tb. (in fact, I know drives are always smaller than listed on the package),

Back