• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual PSU How-Tos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's just that the peltier (even 80W only) is going to take up ALL of the 18A available on that 12V rail. So I will be using my Thermaltake Purepower 400W for that.

That leaves me with a 500W from a barebone kit (not a reliable PSU -- not even a name brand) and a 5 year old PSU from an old Compaq system which is 200W (It has about 7A on the 12V rail LOL)(again not a very powerful PSU).

Actually I might just leave the ThermalTake Purepower as is for my main computer and the other crappy brands for the TEC, water pump and video card. Going to be doing some overclocking so I want those extra spare power. Hmm I am not even sure if that 200W PSU for the video card and water pump will work out, I might just power the water pump and power the Vid card from the main computer's PSU (Thermaltake 400W)

----------------------------------

Can I use a 50 Ohm resistor to trick the 5v rail and 3.3v rail that it has a load on it ?

Last edited:
RIG Specs:
Athlon64 X2 4600+ 89W
ECS Nforce5M-A
2 512MB 667MHz Corsair & Kingston
1 Seagate 80Gig SATA
1 Seagate 200Gig ATA
1 Sony DVD-RAM drive
2 120mm 12V Fans .26A
Gecube x1950pro 256MB 256Bit

I have two PSUs, a 350W CoolerMaster & a 350W Task,
and I want to be able to Use these two PSUs on my RIG,
I followed speedy3d's tutorial in making a Dual PSU,
using a relay to switch the slave PSU...

According to Gecube...
"Radeon® X1900 CrossFire configurations (dual graphics card system) requires 550-Watt capacity power supply, with 38A on 12V rail."
and reading my Task PSU specs... It says:

AC Input 100~120Vac/200~240Vac
10/6A 60/50Hz Peak Load
DC Output Model No. +3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5V +5VSB
TK-935TX-DF Max Output Current 28A 28A 20A 0.8A 0.8A 2.5A 420W
350W Max Combined Wattage 200W 240W 9.6W 4W 12.5W

now my problem is... will my Task PSU be able to handle
the gecube x1950pro? given that it will only serve as an
exclusive PSU for the x1950pro and the 2 120mm .26A
FANS...

Is there anything on how to mod 2 500W ATX PSU's with 24pin connectors to use them in a Crossfire rig? (i need power for 2X Saphire HD 2900 Pro and 2 500GB HD in raid 0, 4GB ocz of DDR2 pc800, DVD, floppy, etc)

I have 2 x 350w enermax EG365P-VE PSU's.
my question is, is it better to just go dual PSU's
or to get a single higher wattage PSU like lets say 600w.
same brand for example.
can SLI connections be made from non-SLI PSU's?

hey-

hey- my current is a cheapy low end 650q psu. but since i installed it, all of my fans never seem to stay at a constat speed.
they seem to sound really fast sometimes
and also...my led's on the front go high and low.

and basically it seems my psu output is regulated very badly....would dual psu fox this??

also... does it ruin the hard drive..if you have it connected to a second power supply while the pc is off??? sort of like i turn my pc off ( and my main psu turns off) but then my hard drive is running of a second psu that i turn off after windows has shut down.

Isint that the cuteist little PSU???
PSU1.jpg

In all serousness; I am concidering using this as a 2nd PSU to run my 7 case fans and reduce the power burden off of my other PSU

What I cant determine is: Is this a AT or ATX or a DELL pripiority PSU and will it safely double with my current ATX PSU.

Also it would appear that this PSU puts out most of its power in to the 5v line...Would the 12v line have enough juce to run 7 fans???
I like this PSU since it is small enough to fit in to my case with out any real modifications...

Attachments

• psu2.jpg
    psu2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 3,304
After a quick check, it appears that the same hookups apply, whether with a 20-pin, or 24-pin PSU. If you find that something different happens, please post in this thread. At least we learn from experimentation.

I invite anyone who can provide me with any updates to this to contact me. I realize that in an era of 1000w and up PSUs that a lot of people aren't thinking of duals, but there still might be the economical one out there who appreciates this stuff.
stool

Hi,
If you use two different types of PSU, isn't there a chance that one will require longer to start up than the other, causing initial system instability?

Thanks,
-MT

Hi,
If you use two different types of PSU, isn't there a chance that one will require longer to start up than the other, causing initial system instability?

Thanks,
-MT
Possible.... but for most situations the secondary PSU is only running fans and other stuff not directly connected to the Motherboard. So i would say that instability do to PSU lag should not be an issue.

Need good advice

i know this is an old thread, but i need some advice here. i have read all of these dual PSU walkthroughs and guides, but none of them seem to clarify points of interest:

1. I have a 256mb AGP graphics card, athlon 3000+ on an Abit AV8 mobo. I have two identically rated PSU's, one is ALLIED 350 watt, one is Turbolink 350 watt, both with exact amperage ratings. I only have 12A on the 12v rail, i want to connect both PSU's in Parallel, to double the AMPERAGE. I'm having problems with my PC/Graphics card freezing, and EVGA says it's the PSU.

2. Can i connect both PSU's in a strictly "Cut and Splice" method, instead of going out and buying harnesses, resistors and such? if so, what would i connect?

3. is there a Wire on the Power Supplies that is a signal for "turn-on" when you press the power button on the Case? (you know, so i can turn the button on on the case and have both PSU's power up together)
I'm trying to do this to link both Power Supplies, to double the amperage on ALL rails, not just the 12v. How do i accomplish this? i'm just confused on all the guides i've read, and im sorry for being such a noob. Also, I've read contradicting sites: do i connect the grounds of both PSU's by connector wire, a wire from the chassis of one PSU to the chassis of the second PSU, or both? Thank you guys for the help!

=============================================================
*** Just remember that the Procooling article only involves AT PSUs. It was ***
*** cautioned by Hoot some while back to not try that method with ATX. ***
=============================================================

This caution could be moved to the top somewhere, amazing how many folk [/me] read one or two - lines / posts , before moving on, half-baked and ill-informed. and start frying [themselves/pets/kids/spouse/neighbours] - just my 2p worth. or 2d, or 2c...

Last edited:
:clap:
!Heh, just read the dates at the top of this thread !
Sean T. Gaffney

Last edited:
!Heh, just read the dates at the top of this thread !
Sean T. Gaffney

That's ok I missed it the first time around myself I think.Any way I also have used 2 power supplies with great results and plan on doing it again unless I score the psu I really want first.

I've been away for a while, and I'm somewhat surprised this isn't archived. With the massive size of PSUs these days, dualing 2 PSUs seems almost irrelevant. But hey, you never know.

Sometimes it's still cheaper to get dual quality PSU than one monster PSU. Plus some of the really big ones (over 1200w) would need separate circuit in USA (and Canada) house hold wiring since some house wiring may be only rated for 15A (1650w) or 20A (2200w), and you need to factor in lights, monitor, peripherials, vacuum cleaner, A/C, etc. Trying to put a single 2000w+ PSU (does that exists??) would blow breakers. But dual PSU on separate circuit will get around that issue.

Not everyone would need that much power. It'd be for dual high end Xeon processors with 4x GTX590 or 4x 6990's. An average Joe wouldn't need more than 500w.

Resident with 220v generally don't have this problem as PSU would need half as much amp to get the max watts as 110v

I had to upgrade to a 1200 to run my nvidia cards in SLI. I'm loaded with drives, lights, fans and extras, and a 750 just didn't cut it. I've had no problem on a 15A breaker.

The links on the first page confuse me?

I need to run 2 psu's for my mining station, one runs pc and all, the other one, just needs to boot up with the pc.

Which pins do i need to connect?

Hi, I don't know if this has already been asked, but on dual CPU boards, like the SR-2, can one PSU power CPU 1, and the other power CPU 2?

Back