• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best bang for the buck - CPU/Mobo combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

low98gmc

Registered
I'm looking to build a new rig for basic use, internet, CAD, photo editing, maybe some video down the road, DVD burning and some light gaming. Just looking for some recommendations on a CPU, Mobo combo to look towards... I'd like to keep it at or around $300 if possible, but wouldn't have a hard time spending more.

Thanks!

It doesnt get much better than an opteron. I would suggest a DC but I am unsure if you budget would allow it.

The 165 (dual core) can be had for $275 and the 146 (single core) for $150(?). Pick a good DFI or Asus board with one of those and your set. Overclock as much as you feel comfortable with and you got yourself a great start.

DFI Is not best bang for $ they are overpriced.
The New Epox GLI or Asrock-eSAtat or Asrock Dual SataII are a lot cheaper and performance is up there w/ the $200 mobo (if not better).
The new Epox GLi is ~$82 and has great review. Will hit the market within 2 weeks or so.
If you are not into multitasking and looking for moderate overclocking (30%-40%), A64 3200 will do the job you are asking. Opteron 144 is the next best bang for the $. Beyond this recommendation, is a new ball game, and waiting for AM2 would be wise. The above recommendation will cost you less than $300. Opteron 165 (good for multitasking) and one of above board will cost ~$350

Hands down, best combo going right now:

CPU: Opteron 146 $143
Motherboard: ASRock 939SLI32-eSATA2 $81
Video: eVga 7600GS with active cooling [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130011]$99[/url]

Total: $345

The ASRock ULi based board can overclock higher than nVidia nForce boards. It also has gigabit ethernet and firewire while the Epox board doesn't. The 7600GS is overclocked beyond 7600GT speeds and performs much better than a stock 7600GT. Two of them in SLI will give you better than 7900GT performance. Throw in some cheap memory (for AMD CPUs, memory performance is nowhere near as critical as CPU MHz) and you got yourself a smoking budget system.

- kbj

hmm..i can give u a comparison on video editing/converting to help u decide...opteron is probably the way to go on processor. dfi is a good board but it will take alot of fiddling to get it stable most likely. truth be known...if u dont plan on extreme overclocking go with a diffrent board like the epox. okay, a simple video convert using an app i like "canopus procoder2"...has alot of filters and stuff and does a great job, say, converting an avi to a dvd mpeg....on an old machine of mine, an 1800athlonXP/512mb of 2100, a full movie convert from avi to dvd mpeg with all the filters i like and bitrate, would take 8-10 hours....another machine a 2500athlonXP/1g of 2700 overclocked alittle would do it in about 4-5 hours...my new rig with a dual core 4400+/2g ddr500 on a dfi expert overclocked to 2.7g, will do it in about 2 hours...BUT now get this!!!....i can run it times 2!...two instances...twice the work in half the time of my last rig....hope that helps ur decision :)

it really depends on how much bang you want..
there are degrees of bang for your buck ;)

btw.. I would go Epox before the Asrock mobo (less hassle IMHO)

and if you want dual core bang/$, Intel has more bang for the buck right now. (by quite a large factor IMHO)
well.. a 65nm celly is alot of bang for the buck as well.. its up to you..

Last edited:
dze said:
intels are pukey...get a dual core opty

$300+ for the opty..

as low as 130 for a DC Intel..

that gets 4Ghz pretty easy with good cooling (not even exellent, some with the stock heat sink even)
and ones that will rock the socks off a opty run $212 (given a little time for them to hit the retail market)

sooooooooo...... how bout sending me the linkies why intel's are pukey and I'll be willing to consider what your saying ;)

Wait for AM2 or Conroe or if you cant wait get a cheap dual core set up like 165 opty + a cheap mobo Under 100 bucks and some 2 gig ram sticks like gskills and wait for quad core to come out. Or you can get a cheapo intel proc spend the money to get the better mobo and ram and get decent performance out of it. But I actually think it comes out to the same price cause the ram and mobo for intel is much more expensive if you want to overclock and if you dont overclock then your intel is naturally slower than the amd opterons.

greenmaji said:
$300+ for the opty..

that gets 4Ghz pretty easy with good cooling (not even exellent, some with the stock heat sink even)
and ones that will rock the socks off a opty run $212 (given a little time for them to hit the retail market)

sooooooooo...... how bout sending me the linkies why intel's are pukey and I'll be willing to consider what your saying ;)

because with the AMD you can get a cheap board that can handle high HTT and you can keep the stock cooler. The intel may be a cheaper initial purchase but you need extras to make it perform good.

greenmaji said:
$300+ for the opty..

If you are talking about the Pentium D 8xx series from Intel they arent really the best chips. They had some serious overheating problems from what I saw. It's definatly worth the extra money for an AMD DC. If you are insistant on Intel then the only way to go would be the Pressler route.

If you want the best bang for the buck system and are on a budget I would go for an Opteron 144/146 and an Epox motherboard. Ive dealt with Epox before and they are a great company and have some excellent motherboards. If you want something more than that I would look into getting a dualcore processor. (Opteron 165)

go read up on Intel guys.. the 9XX dual core chips are not as hot, clock higher and have dropped in price to below the cost of the old 8XX's.. and no you upgrade the cooler but high end air makes them a better bargain.

crazy cheap AMD mobos are a pain other then the EPOX thats AMD's saving grace right now :rolleyes:
If you do your reaserch you can get a 930 to run loops around a DC opty.. Ohhh well.. If you dont want bang for your buck dont look..
*edit* Im willing to say somewhat a matter of luck of the draw at this point with cost and picking a nice core in some cases.. at least one that I have seen.. that this would not hold true */edit*

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
go read up on Intel guys.. the 9XX dual core chips are not as hot, clock higher and have dropped in price to below the cost of the old 8XX's.. and no you upgrade the cooler but high end air makes them a better bargain.

crazy cheap AMD mobos are a pain other then the EPOX thats AMD's saving grace right now :rolleyes:
If you do your reaserch you can get a 930 to run loops around a DC opty.. Ohhh well.. If you dont want bang for your buck dont look..

You are taking offense to easily and I mean none. Yeah I said the 8xx series were hot chips but then I went and said if you got a Presler you would have much better luck.

The cheapest Presler I can find is the 930 for $213 on newegg. (only site I checked) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116238 So the 8xx are still a bit cheaper but definately not worth it.

you snached up my post before I editied it.. but yea.. I relilze that sounded bad.. my bad.

an I REALLY messed up reading yoru post man!!! :eek:

one that costs about $40-60 more then the epox.. well maybe not that much
there are a couple good options..
they run up to 150 tops
batboy would be the best to ask for bare bottom good results.. I would suggest somthing that can get top end results with a little work and a few extra $$

btw.. this is the mobo I like for pressler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131547

Last edited:
Hm so its like I thought, in the end the prices end up being about the same. Just up to the person buying wether or not they want AMD or Intel. Going to be a tuff decision to make when my dad wants a dual-core.

Back