• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xclio windtunnel fan issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigBoss

Registered
I just finished building a new computer. Everything is working just as it should, everything installed flawlessly. This was the first time a computer build went this well for me.

(I tend to mess up a lot, but once I do it once, never again)

But... I knew it was going to smooth

I have the Xclio Windtunnel.

It does not have the Temp LED ... I guess. Here's my deal: The case has 2 250mm fans on the side, they have blue LEDs and they're RVM nobs and buttons to turn them off.

When I turn up the speed for the fan closest to me, it speeds up like it should and no problems. The 2nd 250 mm fan... When I turn it up to a certain speed it starts making noises as if it was hitting something but I can turn down the speed and it will run just fine.

Should I be worried? Is this something worth RMA?

I'm very pleased with this case, it's just that one fan which is worrying me.

Can I replace this fan with something better? I will totally do that if it is possible.

Another thing that was a problem is that my H50 cooler would poke out just enough to hit the fans, I have to move those tubes out of the way, and some of my HDD cables got in the way of the other fan, I fixed that as well. but could this have damaged my fans?

Either you return and get another alternative or contact the manufacturer and mention your fan problem.

Personally, if im having the fan problems and the lack of space with the H50, i'd go with something else.

a little off subject here but i just started looking to go to a full tower case now that I can go to 3x crossfire with my new mobo, and these Xclio really look like a cool case (as in temp cool no pun intended) and with the size and number of fans it looks like one of the best ventalated cases I seen. I even like the idea of a plastic case what is your opinon of the case other than the fan issue your dealing with?

a little off subject here but i just started looking to go to a full tower case now that I can go to 3x crossfire with my new mobo, and these Xclio really look like a cool case (as in temp cool no pun intended) and with the size and number of fans it looks like one of the best ventalated cases I seen. I even like the idea of a plastic case what is your opinon of the case other than the fan issue your dealing with?

this case is AWESOME
I did notice my GPU go up about 5-10 degrees but I'm using a new motherboard and I'm overclocking way farther then I have before.

... When I turn it up to a certain speed it starts making noises as if it was hitting something

H50 cooler would poke out just enough to hit the fans, I have to move those tubes out of the way, and some of my HDD cables got in the way of the other fan, I fixed that as well. but could this have damaged my fans?

i have blown fins off of fans by accidentally getting things in them like fingers wires , but that was high speed moving fans, and really dum errors, never happens at low rpm or from some minor rubbing .

if you hear rattling ticking and stuff like that, all you do is FIX it. the fan blades can Move back and forth a bit as air pressure from the fan itself, and from the motor pulling harder on the magnets. you can usually discover anything that will hit something else when OFF, by pushing the fan blades in and out while turning manually.

i guess IF the fan blade was hitting ITSELF, then is the only reason i would even think about asking a manufacture to replace that fan item.
anything else, just using a silicoln washer, or rubber o-ring somewhere, or just bend something into shape better, or rearrange.

with really new fans having pop-off blade set, you want to make sure those are seated in thier pop-in location, something like that could add in a New weirdness.
with some of the newer fans having a really lightweight frame structure, what could be concidered flimsey even, the mount could effect it, just locate minor issue and tweak it a bit.

I always replace later, when things change, or you want to do something different, because fan bearing (especially bushings) dont last forever , so replacing a fan for an improved version after the old one has run for a few years , isnt as much loss of funds.

Last edited:
Solved!

i have blown fins off of fans by accidentally getting things in them like fingers wires , but that was high speed moving fans, and really dum errors, never happens at low rpm or from some minor rubbing .

if you hear rattling ticking and stuff like that, all you do is FIX it. the fan blades can Move back and forth a bit as air pressure from the fan itself, and from the motor pulling harder on the magnets. you can usually discover anything that will hit something else when OFF, by pushing the fan blades in and out while turning manually.

i guess IF the fan blade was hitting ITSELF, then is the only reason i would even think about asking a manufacture to replace that fan item.
anything else, just using a silicoln washer, or rubber o-ring somewhere, or just bend something into shape better, or rearrange.

with really new fans having pop-off blade set, you want to make sure those are seated in thier pop-in location, something like that could add in a New weirdness.
with some of the newer fans having a really lightweight frame structure, what could be considered flimsy even, the mount could effect it, just locate minor issue and tweak it a bit.

I always replace later, when things change, or you want to do something different, because fan bearing (especially bushings) dont last forever , so replacing a fan for an improved version after the old one has run for a few years , isnt as much loss of funds.

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply!!!

and sorry for my LATE reply now.

I have been busy so I didn't have time to check the fan, and I really did not want to send the case back and get a new one. So while I was waiting to check on that fan I would set the fan speed to low. then I did not hear any rattling or any sounds of the fan hitting something.

Just today, actually about 3 minutes ago. I took off the side panel which is holding the 2 250mm fans.

I took out a few screws, pulled what was holding the fan out and just looked at it.

It looked to be in perfect condition with a little dust build up already.

I spun the fan with my fingers and It showed no signs of broken/damaged pieces, parts, blades. everything looked fine. I looked at the other fan and it looked just fine as well. I could not figure it out!

So I then was looking inside the side panel to see what the deal is.

Nothing looked out of place, yet again no signs of damage.

"Great, what could possibly be wrong?"

I put the fan back in the side panel

but wait...

I noticed something the red and black wires that are connected to the fan

because of how they were positioned the fan would HIT that cord.

I looked at the other fan to see how the cord was positioned there. It was hanging out on the outside of the plastic casing which holds the fan.

So I just pushed it out of the way just like how the second fan is like.

Turned on my system, turned the nob to full speed.

Not a sound :)

And btw.

My ATI HD 4870 HIS Iceq4 temperature was running at 70-72c idle before while the fan was set to low.

With my fan speed on full blast it is now 59-60 idle :)

Very very happy

Now I can give my full opinion on this case.

one word: Amazing.

Back