• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 Shimm (Do-Your-Own)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zebbo

Mushkin Tech Rep
Before I start, I'd like to thank Kizmo for giving this great idea and credits goes to him.

There's plenty of people who has removed the heatspreader from A64 and after that's done, installing the heatsink may give creepy thoughts and sleepless nights to some of us.

Well, what if you buy shimm there? That's problem cause I haven't by myself seen any shimm products for A64, so now we can do it by ourselves, all we need is Radeon 9700 or 9800 card ;)

The shimm which 9700/9800 series Radeon cards has is exactly same size as Athlon64 CPU. Just use somekind of knife to get it off from your video card and put some glue and glue it to your A64 CPU.

I'm too lazy to write anymore, but here's picture for you :)

http://mbnet.fi/kizmo/a64.JPG

Last edited:
I used thin strips of a plastic juice concentrate can wall :D

They're exactly of the correct thickness (just about 0.1 mm lower than the core) and come at absolutely no cost (you won't have risk sacrificing a Radeon for your OC :p ). All you need is scissors, some glue ("superglue" i.e. cyanoacrylate is just fine) and an empty, thoroughly rinsed juice concentrate can.

Goes without glue as well, but some care must be taken when seating the HSF or waterblock or vapoelement or whatever you're using :) Seating and reseating moves things easily thus risking the contact: if a strips goes over the tiny "spiders" soldered onto the processor base and the heatsink/whatever is attached without double checking everything, the first boot after the procedure will burn the poor chip since there's very little or no contact between the core and the cooler. (Yes, been there...)

Back