• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming Keyboard? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't believe in getting gadget keyboards for gaming, but I do have a Razer Arctosis (cheapest of the Razer lineup) and it disables the Windows key when in games, I always end up hitting it which minimizes the game I'm in.

But I'm currently using a $20 Microsoft keyboard and I edited in regedit to disable the Windows key and a couple other keys.

I hear Ya! I don't use media keys for the most part.As far as volume control,I use a Logitech X-540 5.1 w/ subwoofer and a ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR-DG.I use the X-540 for volume.

I just mean, i prefer a volume roller, like the Logitech G110 has. I do use the media keys actually. If im playing a game and having on my own music in the background, they are useful for controlling that.

I don't believe in getting gadget keyboards for gaming, but I do have a Razer Arctosis (cheapest of the Razer lineup) and it disables the Windows key when in games, I always end up hitting it which minimizes the game I'm in.

But I'm currently using a $20 Microsoft keyboard and I edited in regedit to disable the Windows key and a couple other keys.

Gadget keyboards for gaming? I thought gadget keyboards Were for gaming? lol. Seriously tho, all the stuff on my g110 is useful for gaming. Even the media keys (see above). It also has a handy switch to disable the windows keys ;) as i do use those when im in windows itself.

As far as the Black Widow, its *ok* imo. I use one at work. Typing on it is fine enough, but i dont like how the media keys are mixed in with the function keys, Especially the volume controls. It makes it too much of a pain in the *** to try to mute the sound when someone walks up and starts talking to me.

They keys are actually a tad bit smaller as well than a standard keyboard, but that is something you can get use to.

Corsair K90 is OK

My ergonomic MS 4000 keyboard finally wore out where several keys required banging multiple X to get contact. Doh! I needed a new keyboard...again.

I do game but wasn't sure about mechanical keyboards so I waited for a Newegg sale. In addition to the Corsair K90, I was also looking at the Rosewill, Gigabyte, and flagship Razer Black Widow models (? 2013). I needed back-lighting but didn't want red. I wasn't sure about what type of Cherry MX switches to get (but since have bought a sample pack of switches from WASD keyboards).

The Corsair went on sale first so I got that. Most keys are Cherry Red except F keys, G (macro) keys, and the insert/delete block, which are rubber dome. The software worked fine for me and the firmware upgrade was painless.

Pros:1) For those who are unsure, it allows side by side usage of mechanical and rubber dome keys
2) Allows gamers to see if they use macro keys at all since there are eighteen
3) great illumination of mechanical keys with bad illumination of rubber dome all side-by-side for your viewing
4) nice barrel type volume control and other nice media controls
5) robust braided cable without any micro-usb connector to break
6) feels good on the hands even after an MS ergonomic brand for years so Corsair must be doing some design correctly

Cons: 1) takes short time to wish all keys were mechanical especially the insert/delete block
2) takes short time to wish the nice illumination included all keys
3) cherry red mx can be a challenge to average typists so I may get a second keyboard like a Ducky Shine II for typing
4) cost - hard to justify $130 MSRP for a hybrid mechanical/dome keyboard but maybe sale price is OK for the "first mechanical"

Just my opinion. I think the K90 plays a role in moving into mechanical keyboards for those who are uncertain. Just wish they would drop price on the k90 hybrid and make a full mechanical with more choices for switches and colors for lighting. That would be fun. Happy hunting. :)

I still say the Gigabyte is the one to look at, its got all the ports that everyone has come to mention. 1, AUDIO OUT JACK, for Headphones. 2, INPUT JACK for Microphone. 3, USB 2 INPUT on the side as well. On the keyboard its self there is blue led back-light on all the keys which can switch on/off. Also is fully adjustable with a dimmer wheel and next to that is a Volume wheel for Head cans. All in all a great bit of kit and it works like a charm. AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823334013

The k90 sounds like a decent keyboard. Strange that corsair would skimp on having mechanical keys for the entire keyboard. Doesn't make much sense for a keyboard of that price range.

Janus that's one good reason why i passed on buying it and got this one instead regards to you. AJ.

I still say the Gigabyte is the one to look at, its got all the ports that everyone has come to mention. 1, AUDIO OUT JACK, for Headphones. 2, INPUT JACK for Microphone. 3, USB 2 INPUT on the side as well. On the keyboard its self there is blue led back-light on all the keys which can switch on/off. Also is fully adjustable with a dimmer wheel and next to that is a Volume wheel for Head cans. All in all a great bit of kit and it works like a charm. AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823334013

Not bad, but there are a few glaring issues i see (at least for me) about this keyboard.

1. Media keys are mixed in with the F keys, which means muitiple keypress to get them to work, and given the position of those, and the fn key to activate them, it makes it a pain to use them single handed.

2. Position of the USB port an Audio ports may, for many, get in the way of using the mouse. I have my keyboard, mouse and game board all on my keyboard tray so that would be kind of annoying.

3. It would be nice if the built in audio had mute controls on the keyboard itself. Now i realize this is less important to some, given most headsets have controls built into them in some fashion, however alot of the cheaper ones and older ones (like mine) do not. Also, I personally feel its better to have them on the keyboard, and allows for quicker access, rather than trying to fumble around trying to find it on the headset. (the headset i use at work, the Logitech G330, i HATE its controls that are on the cable, as it is always getting snagged either on my keyboard or under my desk, sometimes pulling the headset off my head)

The G110 has made me pretty picky about features on the keyboard since it has many useful ones. I would be giddy if they just made a mechanical version of the 110, not changing anything else.

All that said, the Gigabyte one does seem to be very close in line to what i would want.

Not bad, but there are a few glaring issues i see (at least for me) about this keyboard.

1. Media keys are mixed in with the F keys, which means muitiple keypress to get them to work, and given the position of those, and the fn key to activate them, it makes it a pain to use them single handed.

2. Position of the USB port an Audio ports may, for many, get in the way of using the mouse. I have my keyboard, mouse and game board all on my keyboard tray so that would be kind of annoying.

3. It would be nice if the built in audio had mute controls on the keyboard itself. Now i realize this is less important to some, given most headsets have controls built into them in some fashion, however alot of the cheaper ones and older ones (like mine) do not. Also, I personally feel its better to have them on the keyboard, and allows for quicker access, rather than trying to fumble around trying to find it on the headset. (the headset i use at work, the Logitech G330, i HATE its controls that are on the cable, as it is always getting snagged either on my keyboard or under my desk, sometimes pulling the headset off my head)

The G110 has made me pretty picky about features on the keyboard since it has many useful ones. I would be giddy if they just made a mechanical version of the 110, not changing anything else.

All that said, the Gigabyte one does seem to be very close in line to what i would want.

I agree wholeheartedly. I wish Logitech had made the G710+ identical to the G110 aside from the MX Browns (though I suppose the backlighting would be slightly more difficult to implement). However, I'd MUCH rather have the MX Browns and the full USB2.0 passthrough over the audio ports and extra macro keys of the G110. I was sold on this keyboard as soon as I found that it has dedicated media keys like the G110 but is mechanical.

I agree wholeheartedly. I wish Logitech had made the G710+ identical to the G110 aside from the MX Browns (though I suppose the backlighting would be slightly more difficult to implement). However, I'd MUCH rather have the MX Browns and the full USB2.0 passthrough over the audio ports and extra macro keys of the G110. I was sold on this keyboard as soon as I found that it has dedicated media keys like the G110 but is mechanical.

The audio ports are kind of a debate i would imagine. Some people could use them, some not so much. I have an old Plantronics mono headset, that has no audio controls on it, so having the connection And controls on the keyboard itself (actually one of the primary reasons i purchased the G110) is what i like. Ive looked around for newer mono headsets, but they are few and far between, and even fewer are good quality. Plus, i really have little need to replace my Plantronics headset as it still works great.

I purchased 5 HP keyboards with mouses for $40 shipped a few years ago. They work great. it is a membrane keyboard, so if you are a button masher, then you will go over the 4 key passover that membrane KBs suffer from.

It is a tight responsive KB that has lasted many years. and allowed me to give away a bunch of 3 button wheel mouses for no additional cost past my $8 KBs.

No KB rubbing either. All my keys are as white as new even after washing them in the sink.

If you need macros I am sure there is a software solution that uses the same or less CPU resources than a high polling rate USB device needs :)

EDIT: they are kind of clicky too. But if you really need a loud typer, just hit up local garage sales I bought 3 mechanical KBs from a local garage sale (for $1) and resold them on ebay for a hefty profit on ebay for people that are jumping on the mechanical key train. (Before they came down in price)

I still like my Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard for most things, if I need macros I have a old Logitech G15 I stick in a USB port to the left and play it like a second I guess.

I've a big desk so over lap em a bit if needed, and stick it slightly offset so the macros easy to get too, but haven't messed with it in awhile.

That old G15 has been holding up well over the years.

Personally I hate straight keyboards

:)

Ergonomics are interesting, takes a bit to get used to, and I can understand not wanting to go straight after that.

I personally might be using 5+ different keyboards every week, so changing from ergonomic main to straight on all the others causes wrist fatigue for me. (same with wide style mouses), so I stick with straight at home.

Currently testing hte Challenger pro for Thermaltake, and I do enjoy the feel of it. Still hitting caps lock accidentally a bit too often and I have no use at all for the MAcros (yet, maybe someday). Also I tested the rollover rate, and can press up to 6 keys at the same time perfectly, if varying rows and columns, or 4 in a row.

They specify up to 20 key capability but that would be 20 specific keys I think to get the ideal R/C assortment. And since I do not have prehensile toes, it is moot. 6 keys is plenty.

Back