• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best a64 mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlee24219

Registered
I am using the chaintech vnf3-250 and it is evidently dying on me or something, so if i can't diagnos the problem that what would be a good board to get that willl last and be stable. I would like to have agp/pci locks and the board be very stable. Any suggestions?

thanks.

Right now the epox nf3 250GB is the best. soon the DFI will be released. and from watching how the "Beta" of it overclocks, I think it will be the next best board to overclock with

I agree with the epox, but it is still nowhere to be found... man I hate waiting. anybody has any clue where I could get it from? all my sources are out.

Currently, there is no 1 or 2 standout board for A64 (754) like in the case of Nforce2.

E.g. the EPOX 8KDA3+ does not have native support for the IEEE 1394 (firewire), cannot understand why, and for some people it is a no go.

These are what many people are using:
- Epox 8KDA3+/J (nVidia nForce3-250Gb)
- Abit KV8 PRO Revision 1.1 (VIA K8T800 PRO)
- MSI K8N Neo Platinum (nVidia nForce3-250Gb)
- Chaintech VNF3-250 (nVidia nForce3-250)
- Gigabyte K8NSNXP (nVidia nForce3-250Gb)

Exemplary A64 systems: setups, results and experiences (post 63)

Last edited:
hitechjb1 said:
Currently, there is no 1 or 2 standout board for A64 (754) like in the case of Nforce2.

E.g. the EPOX 8KDA3+ does not have native support for the IEEE 1394 (firewire), cannot understand why, and for some people it is a no go.

These are what many people are using:
- Epox 8KDA3+/J (nVidia nForce3-250Gb)
- Abit KV8 PRO Revision 1.1 (VIA K8T800 PRO)
- MSI K8N Neo Platinum (nVidia nForce3-250Gb)
- Chaintech VNF3-250 (nVidia nForce3-250)
- Gigabyte K8NSNXP (nVidia nForce3-250Gb)

Exemplary A64 systems: setups, results and experiences (post 63)

Well, for me, just because it does not have support for IEEE 1394, it does not mean it is a no go... I have no use for that, but it may be a big deal to others I guess.

jlee24219, I was refering to the 8kda3j. :p

The Coolest said:
what's the deal? what's so bad about a PCI firewire card?

It is probabily not used to its full potential if it is limited to PCI speeds...

Anyway, the 8kda3j is what I reccomend. I wonder if it has working pci/agp lock..

dreIU said:
It is probabily not used to its full potential if it is limited to PCI speeds...

Anyway, the 8kda3j is what I reccomend. I wonder if it has working pci/agp lock..

Yes :D

jess1313 said:

Thanks! just what I wanted to hear... mwave.com should have them in monday, and newegg on wednesday... although both of them were supposed to have them this past week. Must be some high demand I guess.

dreIU said:

I think, this is why, ...

hitechjb1 said:
Why native device support from chipset is better

For KT133, KT266, KT333, KT400, and some old Nforce2 motherboards, many devices are supported by the PCI bus. PCI bus has max bandwidth of only 132 MB/s (32 bit x 33 MHz).

Due to the use of legacy motherboards, many high speed devices such as IEEE 1394 (firewire) devices (HD, optical drives, video devices, camcorder, ...) are still running on firewire ports supported by PCI bus.

IEEE 1394 is a high speed serial bus standard that supports data transfer rates of up to 400 Mb/s (in 1394a) and 800 Mb/s (in 1394b). A single 1394 port can connect up to 63 external devices. As such, a firewire port is reaching the PCI bus limit. If there are more than one firewire port and more firewire devices are used, the PCI bandwidth and PCI bus contention would limit the performance of the connected firewire devices.

The 250 GB (compared to non-GB) chipset allows less device dependence on the PCI bus, whose bandwidth is way imbalance compared to an A64 system bandwidth (max_HT_BW to max_PCI_BW = 60:1), until PCI-express becomes main stream.

PCI-express 1X, 40 pins, maxBW = 2.5 Gb/s (basic link)
PCI-express 16X, 168 pins, maxBW = 5 GB/s

PCI-express and devices (post 17)

Last edited:
shard said:
whats the difference between the 8KDA3+ and the 8KDA3J ?

Look at the dirrerences in the newegg description... it is minimal as you can see.

As far as the DFI boards, they will be around 150ish.

dreIU said:
Look at the dirrerences in the newegg description... it is minimal as you can see.

As far as the DFI boards, they will be around 150ish.
forget that. for me to spend 150 or more on a mobo it would have to be the greatest mobo ever made. :p

Back