• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot Shots Golf offers PS "Home-like" experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2008/03/hot-shots-golf-online-lobby-is-awesome.html

I was blown away by this video. I hadn't registered this game's existence... now I'm on the verge of rushing out and getting it (and a USB keyboard) tomorrow.

Here's the skinny:

1. 50 Player online community rooms (there's an "s" on the end of that)
2. Customizable avatars that can be outfitted with items won in game.
3. And it's supposed to be a pretty damned fun game of golf on top of all that

Now for the benefit of full disclosure (and to prove I can actually come up with a link when I actually CARE about what I'm talking about...)

The 8.9 review from IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/858/858760p2.html

Pros:

That brings us to the online stuff. Clap Hanz has put together a very satisfying online component to the game, where you can play with up to eight players in a single game, or up to 50 players in a tournament. When you hop online, you'll be taken into a 3D lobby (of which there are different themes) where you can walk around with your custom avatar and chat it up with other players. You have a pretty decent selection of things to customize your avatar with, like different hairstyles, clothing options, accessories (like backpacks or glasses) and more. You'll unlock quite a bit of these things as you play through the single-player game, which is cool.

Cons:

Unfortunately, voice support is not in the game, be it in the lobby or while on the course, which is certainly unfortunate. You can use a USB keyboard or the in-game keypad to type, or you can use the quick messaging system for basic stuff, but your options here aren't all that great.

But look at that video and tell me we can't make something out of that!

I'm actually thinking of forgoing my GTA: IV SE preorder and picking this up. (I'm all about the tech. What's the one PS2 disc I refuse to sell? Tony Hawk 3: The game that said "The Hell with Sony... we'll come out with our OWN network drivers." I'm all about the tech... ;) )

I know there are a lot of video golf hounds out there, so I figured I'd give you the heads up on a title that I'D certainly overlooked. (and possibly underestimated.)

EDIT: Did I mention it actually lets you add friends and send and receive messages IN GAME? (no big deal for 360 types... but a PS3 first.)

Last edited:
I rented this game on Fryday night. I did go into one of the lobbies, but didn't much more than slide down the handrail. I hope Home is way better than that......

I rented this game on Fryday night. I did go into one of the lobbies, but didn't much more than slide down the handrail. I hope Home is way better than that......

Wow... I keep forgetting you can rent games! I should try to rent it then. Might be fun!

Back