• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build for Friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you wont need any sata cables, the mobo should come with 4 of them. That would save ya some $$. Other then that, looks good and should last, later down the road he can just drop in a i5 or i7.. maybe get a Z77 board, so in 2 years he can drop in a Ivy bridge cpu

I would recommend you putting the money you save from the sata cables and 20 more dollars and just get a 6870 it will run better and faster then the graphics card you have and maybe changing out that mobo (i.e fining a better deal) some thing like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.882765 as it is made by asus and i would go with asus over ecs (or what ever its called) anyday

To save a little i switched case to the rosewill challenger... Looks pretty solid for the price.
Now the total is at $540.

And i also changed the gpu to a cheaper 6850. This means the total is $560 with a $10 rebate.

Last edited:
My friend found a really cheap desktop with an i3 so he wants to just upgrade psu and gpu instead of complete build from scratch... Any disadvantages?

just the obvious ones like not having hand picked parts that fit together perfectly :clap:

Assuming this is an OEM desktop, you could get a budget set of RAM, budget motherboard, budget case. It'll work, but you could probably get better building it yourself.

My PC runs nice and cool and the PSU powers everything perfectly (specs in sig). Your budget was similar to mine (I spent about $610 not including HDD/OS) and mainly because I chose the Double D 6870 so I could get some cooler temps if I overclock.

Do understand that if you decide to overclock you *may* need to upgrade your PSU. I guess I'll find out.

Cooling on a stock graphics card shouldn't be a problem. I had a crappy case from HP that didn't give my 4890, which is a much hotter card than the 6850, temperature problems.

Back