• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fsb vrs multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craydog

Registered
i will have my epox 8kha 1800+ system on line shortly and have a few overclocking questions.what is better,using a high unlocked multiplier (i think 12.5 is the highest i can go with this mobo)or jacking up the fsb?i hear that there is a 1/5 divider on this mobo so i wont put a strain on my pci agp bus correct?or alittle of both?any ideas on how much i can o/c this setup?im using 2 80mm inflow and 1 90mm and 2 80mm outflow fans with a pal8045 delta 60mm 50 cfm hsf.and artic silver compound.and what is "laping" your heatsink?any other ideas? thank guys!

Fsb, with a 1800+ locked you will probably not get much over 150fsb if you are lucky so you will need to unlock it and lower the multiplier if you want to go higher.

lapping?

That's smoothing out the bottom of the heat sink so it's totally flat. Allowing it a great bond with the core.

most of the time it's done with sand paper. sometimes people machine the heat sink with a ginder and then sand it out.

so you have to unlock the cpu to lower the multiplier?does a lower multiplier enable a higher fsb?why not just run the highest multiplier and the highest stable fsb?i think im missing a key point on the multiplier/fsb tweaking....can anybody explain this to me?thanks for all help...im still learning!!!!

A cpu will reach a max mhz no matter what combination of fsb and multiplier are used, once you figure that out then you want to use the highest fsb your system can that will give you the max mhz for your cpu.

If your cpu max is 1750mhz then if your system is good enough to hit 170fsb you would want to set your fsb to either 10x170(1700mhz) or 10.5x166(1743mhz) and run some benchmarks at both to see what gives you the best result.

The higher fsb gives you better memory and agp bandwidth than using a lower fsb and a higher multiplier.

as placid said, the CPU will hit a wall at a certain speed. increasing the FSB will increase the speed every component in the comp works or transmits data. Increasing the multiplier will only speed up the CPU, not the whole motherboard and components. The more the components are running fast, the more bandwith and therefore the more performance you'll get, even if it means less system overall speed. IE : it's sometimes better to have a cpu with a 133MHz FSB running at 1.4GHz, than a system with a FSB of 100MHz and running at 1.45GHz. and so it's better to hit that speed wall your CPU supports with the highest FSB possible, even if it requires lowering the multiplier

I have that MoBo, make sure you flash the BIOS with the newest one right away.
Also make sure you don't install the drivers off the CD, and download the nesest one, especially if you're using Win2k/XP.

The older BIOS and Drivers just plain suck and crash.

FSB overclocking is better I just got my Duron to 166 fsb :) and it feels pretty fast for a Duron 700. I have a friend that has a system with a 1.2 ghz tbird running at default speed and my system seems much faster .

man iv seen some stuff in web !

i saw in web the guy had 300fsb in p3 setup hows that possible he had p3 600 clocked 2 1500 and used peltier or freon or some that cind of cooling ( extreme! ) yam yam but how is it posible did they have some selfmade bios ?

So i c u guys are for the fsb here i c i think i should go for it 2 whe i get my new psu my friend had freon cooling but hes father unpluged it in accident so bye bye cpu ;P he had cpus temp on -30 deg cels but thers a problem with so low temp or lets say temps lower then 0 deg Celsius it makes ice and then if it gets back water (turning off comp) it makes a lot nasty jokes ;)

im sorry dont know where i found the page it was Taiwan page though it shouldn't be 2 hard 2 find using http://tomsharware.com and etc if ur interested enough ;)

i don't know if anyone else has said it but the CPU speed equals multiplier x fsb. so right now my multiplier is 108x12.5, but that's the same thing as 135x10.0.....the latter setting makes for a faster fsb. however if you have slower ram or other components that don't like the faster fsb, you may need the higher multiplier, since that is a lot more performance on the rest of your components.

jeff

Back