• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp-120 Things going bad need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slotted

Ok men thing are not going to well with my XP-120 and I have tried and tried. But im sure that my processor is just hot and my expectation of low temperatures are not going to happen

Story so far I have mounted my xp-120 4 times now and the lowest temps I have managed to get are as follows 44 IDLE 60-63 FULL LOAD (3D Mark 05)

On all occasions I have thoroughly cleaned with 100% Isopropanal

I have applied different amounts of AS5

I have tried different methods of application and combination of whether or not to apply to both services and amount to be applied.

I have followed the procedure as per the AS5 site and also methods bantered around the site.

I have applied the fan sucking and blowing

I have changed the fan for a noisy big *** powerful one

My case temp is 24 and I have an abundance of 120mm fans in my case with good air flow.

My cable management is impeccable

The program I gain my reading with is Speed fan (MB5 doesn’t work with my board)

I have mounted the xp-120 in all configurations

Every time I mount I run for 2 days I know it’s short of 200 hours but the start state just seems high

I have thought about lapping but even if I loose a few degrees it still seems high

Ok well there is the lowdown im beginning to think a few things a faulty XP-120 (cant see how, not that much can go wrong and it looks in good order)

Actual results are wrong

And my final conclusion is that the processor I have got just cant be air cooled to me expectation

Has anyone got the same CPU as me and what temps do they get and also any advise is always is gratefully accepted :bang head

Seems decent to me. Precotts run hot, and onboard temp sensors can't be trusted. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well I guess lapping a flat based heat sink to a polished flat based heatsink isn't going to change your temps dramatically but if the base of your heatsink isn't flat to begin with then lapping might make a big difference. I would imagine a concave heatsink base would be worse than a convex one as the CPU core is just below the centre of the heatspreader.

You've tried everything else so it might be worth it. :shrug:

have you felt the heatpipes when the system is on full load? try it, they should all be the same temperature, if they aren't then it's defective and you can get a replacement

or, if that doesn't work. put on some generic thermal paste hook the hs on, then pull it straight off again, by looking at the contact pattern on hs and cpu you can tell if it's making good contact. if you can't tell by looking then post pictures here and we'll tell you

Tried the feeling method and there is consistent heat around all pipes as for the thermal pastes Dam! I was going to take a picture but from what I saw the contact looked great on all 4 occasions there was a perfect circle on all 4 occasions when I seated it I cleaned the CPU and HS on all occasions and started from scratch. The only time it looked dodgy was the first as it looked like there was too much, all other times was just as pictured on the AS5 web site. On all fittings I had help to insure no air pockets and to assist in a small twist before I locked down.

ya, you probally need to lap it, the base might be warped

MMM well i bought it second hand and there are a few very small scratches on the base (i mean well small) it looked even but hard to tell as it was not shiny enough to reflect lines off it but to the general eye it looked good :shrug:

Take some pic's of your setup. Would be nice to get an idea of your airflow to make a suggestion.

DSCF0040.JPG

DSCF0042.JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

1 x 120 mm fan rear and front and 1 x 80mm top of case 1 x 80mm side of case and 1 x 120 mm on HS

1 on the back blows out 1 on the roof blows out one on the front and side(case) blows in the PCU sucks in and out of the back and the HS fan have tried both ways but find best temp when it sucks air away from the xp-120 and not on it

Lookin pretty good. While the XP's are designed so any heatpipe orientation will work, try truning it if it will fit. Also, take something you know is straight, such as a metal ruler. Hold it on the base of the XP, put light behind, and looks to see if light is seeping through, if so my suggestion would be to lap it.

i have tried a complete 360 with it but i will try the ruler trick thanks for the help, funny i was hoping that with my CPU getting below 60 on full load would not be possible on air

THE FAN! how much does that fan push? CFM wise? it might not be good enough

Next off, i wouldnt suggest lapping that thing unless ur sure its warped

Third, put a duct on it directly to the side of the case, that should help a lot

AS5: yes u better wait that burn in period, its very important, my temps went down like 2-4c after that period.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, I had a Vantec 90mm Stealth fan and it didn't push much air. I think the 120mm version is rated at 53 CFM but those fans are quiet for a reason; they don't spin as fast and don't push as much air as normal or performance fans.

Judging how close your fans are together, I would highly advise ducting your CPU fan to the outside of the side of your case. Then have your rear case fan as intake.
My guess is that air isn't really getting to the XP-120, but instead going around/over it.

Your Problem is the Vantec Stealth. They don't have any static pressure. With the 120mm Stealth in place you're getting simular results to if you went passive and placed the computer in a room that is really drafty.

CFM aren't everything when it comes to fans you need Static pressure to actually push those CFMs through. It's like saying I can push 100 gallons of water but they are just really big drops and it can't even go through a chain link fence.

Back