• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 5870 E6 (EyeFinity6) Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

visbits

Hi Guys, I picked up a Diamond 5870 Radeon Eyefinity 6 edition this weekend.

I was curious on how exactly the *6 display ports* work....
If I plug in 2 monitors via DP>DVI I can run them as individual displays, however if I plug in any other port it can only be a *copy* of one of the 2 primarys, this also disables my 2nd GPU (HD2600) and 2 other displays.

I was hoping that with the 6 display ports I could run 6 individual desktops or a desktop spanned across all 6. Is this a limitation of the DVI adapters and it would work with full display port connections?

Any info or documentation on this would also be appreciated.

--Merry Christmas everyone! :salute:

If you want to hook up more than two monitors to the card; one of them MUST have DP connectivity --> Straight from card's mDP port to DP port on monitor; not via mDP-DVI adapter. Once one of the displays is hooked up via DP; you'll be able to span all 3 displays or use them as separate displays as well... But the requirement for more than 2 displays is that one of them have a DP input.
You can read more here: 5870 Eyefinity 6 Review

Thanks for the info, that was a great read!

Guess I can go ahead and order 3 dell u2410s.. been waiting for a reason to get them.

72" if IPS beauty.

Love my U2410 :D

All the U2410 monitors should come with A01 firmware now, so no need to worry about pink/green tint or dithering issues.

Requiring a DP connection is the only downside to Eyefinity...

Love my U2410 :D

All the U2410 monitors should come with A01 firmware now, so no need to worry about pink/green tint or dithering issues.

Requiring a DP connection is the only downside to Eyefinity...

I don't think there's much that could be done about it either. DP is digital, right? Therefore removing the need for a RAMDAC for that output, if my logic is correct?

Most video cards have two RAMDACs, so they can only run two displays. Eyefinity goes around this with the DP. It's digital, so there's no need for a third RAMDAC.

This is all just theory of course. :) Only posting to see if by some chance i might be right. Haha.

Oh, and Merry Christmas :) :santa2:

Hoping they go on sale tomorrow or monday so I can pick them up for around $410 each... :bday:

Back