• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to buy some DVD drives... OEM or Retail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdameron

I'm about to buy a new (black) CD/DVD burner and a new (black) CD/DVD reader... <--- would like suggestions. would like to get both for less than $100 shipped.

Should I get OEM or retail versions of the drives? I don't need any cables... mainly I'm worried about software. I have no DVD burning software. I need to be able to create CD's from the hard drive, directly burn CD's, create DVD's from the hard drive, and directly burn DVD's...

What software does that that can be had for free, or purchased off the 'egg? Cheaper is better... I'd like to stay below $100 if possible on the drives and software.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion!

I don't know where I heard this, but I've heard that it's not possible to use 2 of the same exact optical drives...? I'd like to have 2 identical drives, but thats why I haven't ordered them already :D

Any other suggestions?

If burning software is important to you then MWave as the NEC 3540 with Nero for $40 here. Nero is very good burning software and the NEC is a solid burner. Good luck with whatever you pick.

I am using 2 of the same drives, lite-on's even, with no problems, on the same IDE channel. Cause my mobo only has 1 IDE slot. :p

and the top one is missing a label, because i was cleaning with a very hard chemical, and some over spray got on it. :-/

dvd.jpg

rseven said:
If burning software is important to you then MWave as the NEC 3540 with Nero for $40 here. Nero is very good burning software and the NEC is a solid burner. Good luck with whatever you pick.

Haha, I'm such a spaz... The last nero edition i had made you use it ONLY with the burner it shipped with... will I have to install both of those nero's to use both burners? (I want 2 drives)

No, this isn't a packaged software item,(I had one of those too) this is the oem version of nero and it is fully functional.

Yeah the nero that came with all of my LiteOn drives works fine on whatever.. I've had about 6 drives now go through my hands (different computers, different configurations, etc) and I might have used the same copy of Nero on several of em.. not really sure.. I have a small stack of the Nero disks somewhere ;- ]

Back