• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-55 vs FX-57

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Rain

From what I heard the 57 is going to be dual core, I'm not expert in amd although I'm trying to learn, but wouldn't that make them harder to overclock well?

I'm going to be making a new computer around feb, I don't think the FX-57 is going to be out by then, so am probably going to get FX-55, will the 55 overclock better (in theory at least) making it the last great gaming monster b4 dual core or will the dual cores completely smash the 55's preformance benches?

i didnt even know the 55s were out, i thought there was only 51 and 53... well, just shows how much i know! :D

also there must hell of a price tag on the new 57s when they do come out, even the 53 is like £600! thats just stupid money for a CPU...

the 55's are 130 nm yes, but they use 'strained silicon technology' which gives some awesome overclocks, a guy at XS already got his to 3.8+ ghz

White Rain said:
From what I've read they will be dual core ( 2 processors on 1 chip ) and I want to know what effect that will have on games and their ability to overclock.

As no one yet knows how they will overclock, I will offer a guess.

I think if you can handle the thermal load, they should overclock to approximatly the same speed as the single cored version. Also, they will run at slower speeds at stock speeds. So..technically that is a better overclock if you got a 2.2GHz CPU to 2.7GHz vs. getting a 2.6GHz CPU to 2.7GHz. But as for the overall clockspeed, no one, not even I have any way of knowing, but I predict that if you can keep it cool, it might overclock to the same point or a little better. Why do I predict the same? Well..in very very simple terms...it is pretty much 2 CPU cores into one with one memory controller. They are the same cores, just that there is only one memory controller and they have to share the same socket etc. Why do I predict a little better? I predict this because they may use higher quality cores that can do the same clockspeed but at a lower voltage to handle the heat...kinda like a mobile CPU. Well, overclocking is just a big game of stability, in other words, how fast you can push it before losing stability. Well, if you have a CPU that does 1.8GHz on 1.0 Vcore vs. a CPU that does 1.8GHz on 1.5Vcore, of course the one that can do it on 1.0 will overclock better because if you pushed it up to 1.5 you will be able to get much farther than the 1.8 at 1.5Vcore staying at 1.5Vcore. Well, they are most likely going to try to use the best stuff for the dual core ones so they can run at lower voltage to produce less heat.

But, you never know until people actually start getting the CPU's and overclocking them.

So you think that it will be a standard preformance jump as in processors in the past and not some monumental increase of preformance that would make me regret getting an fx55?

As for the price, even w/ 90nm tec it still has 2 chips on the die intead of one, and either way I doubt they will be priced any less than their standard flagship price.

The dual core Toledos are 1 year away, we'll discuss their oveclockability in 2006, for now, we're still in 2004.

The issue now is which Socket 939 mobo, nForce4's release is imminent but there are rumors of problems with those. VIA has some very interesting models coming out soon for Socket 939 that may or may not be better but since they will have a PCI lock, VIA is now certainly a contender.

Is buying a 130nm FX is a good idea now? Most people who buy them instead of 90nm 3x00+s, buy them because $ is no object for them so when the issue comes up, you get the inevitable "why would you want to spend x times more on FXs, when..."

Well they are unlocked, and will oc easier, and are great for games, I don't get to upgrade very often and when I do, it's got to last at top preformance as long as it can.

My bad man. I saw dual core, saw FX, and thought they were two separate things. Didn't catch the desktop part. Yeah IMHO the only good reason to get an FX is the unlocked Multi's, the cache is a pretty minor thing. I'd definitely go for an FX if I had phase-change cooling.

Back