• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just have:

Reviews: 47
Helpfulness: 24

been getting tons of network stuff, wouldnt mind one of those nice PSU's for a change or really anything thats not a router or a powerline adapter :p

I'd say about 70% of the stuff I've been sent has been switches, routers and powerline adapters. 1 PSU, 1 Mobo, 2 sticks of RAM, 6 HDDs, 1 SSD just missing a CPU and case!

and yet another switch asked to review... -_-
I guess I will take it seeing as how there is nothing else coming my way

I was offered a wireless range extender, but with where I live I think it would be hard to test properly. I declined the offer hoping someone else can grab it and test with it.

What kind of flak has it been getting EarthDog?

If I may be so blunt... the vast majority of reviews are being reviewed by people that have no idea how to review the product properly. For example, I recall someone mention they reviewed a PSU and was 'happy with it'. To know if a PSU is quality or not takes knowledge... WAY more knowledge than I have AND the proper testing equipment. Plugging it in and playing a game or stress testing is not properly testing a PSU. So in a lot (most?) cases, this can do an injustice to those reading the review. That is the overall 'feeling' the program has and takes flak for'.

EDIT: Heh, that was you... Please do not take personal offense to that!! I would do the same thing if I was offered free hardware as well...so I don't really blame you or anyone, but it is what it is. Now, I am a reviewer here as well but usually stick to my wheelhouse (GPU's, Motherboards, SSD's to some extent). But when I started I was 'green' in some areas too and probably didn't get the best information out... PSU's though, that is a different ballgame.

Last edited:
I don't think they want overly technical reviews, there are plenty of sites that do that with varying degrees of competency, they want stories as to how the hardware satisfied a need in your environment or not as the case may be. They are also quite serious about reviews being valid and not just 5 eggs, I've been in the situation where I wrote a very good review for a piece of kit initially and then had to go back about 6 months later and trash it due to it catastrophically failing, investigation showed mine wasn't an isolated instance. The bad review was immediately posted and it must have been flagged to the manufacturer as I was contacted by them, they couldn't do anything to help bar replacement, which I declined, the kit was just downright bad and shortly after it started appearing heavily discounted all over the web (over $100 off).

If I may be so blunt... the vast majority of reviews are being reviewed by people that have no idea how to review the product properly. For example, I recall someone mention they reviewed a PSU and was 'happy with it'.

I'd be happy to make better reviews than those if they'd just send me something :D

No offense taken. I don't think the purpose for the reviews is to match the level of expertise you would find on an enthusiast or professional site, at least in my opinion.

I think of it as if you are the "go to" IT person in your family or friends. What would YOU recommend if they were looking for an item. So in my reviews I tend to write them in that point of view. I know the helpfulness of your reviews is a factor in them choosing you and my reviews almost always get "upvotes".

As far as my comment about being happy with the PSU, I was more detailed in my review :p

I hear ya, and you are just doing what you can, which is all you can do. It is just that with some items, you or I cannot test them properly due to a lack of knowledge or proper testing equipment. For example, there are plenty of crap PSUs that 'work', for now, but you cannot tell if it puts out its full power in a hot box, or the ripple, quality of the internals etc. So while it 'works', you(we) would have no idea how well it works, which is the point of the review. Not that it turns on which is essentially all you and I can test.

To which my counter point is if you are the go to IT person for your family and friends to help make better tech choices, you would never recommend or give high praise to something like a LOGISYS unit ;-P

I'm under no illusion that I would be able to properly test a power supply in the way you are referencing. I do however do lots of my own research and reading of other reviews (kit guru is one of my favorites as they go very in depth) so I have a VERY basic understanding of what goes into it.

I certainly appreciate your point of view, but in the end I love free stuff and am a computer nerd at heart. If my input could potentially help someone make a better choice or save some money then it's a win in my book. A brief for instance, one of the motherboards I was sent lacked a heatsink on the VRM mosfets but the "big brother" board had one included. I made sure to state in my review that if you planned on pushing anything over a clock frequency, you might want to look elsewhere. Seems like common sense to most of us here, but if someone is just starting out they may not see that or even know what a mosfet is. That information could potentially be helpful to someone, or maybe I'm just tired and rambling and zzzzzzz :p

Quick ninja edit: Although far from comprehensive or scientific, I do have a kill-a-watt so I can certainly test draw, heat generation, fan noise, build quality. I've even thrown a few GPU's in to push it past its published rating and then running GPU and CPU stress benchmarks to test stability, whether it will even boot, etc.

Quick ninja edit: Although far from comprehensive or scientific, I do have a kill-a-watt so I can certainly test draw, heat generation, fan noise, build quality. I've even thrown a few GPU's in to push it past its published rating and then running GPU and CPU stress benchmarks to test stability, whether it will even boot, etc
I like those kind of tests I wish more PSU review sites would push them past there limit. You have gonads hope you don't blow a rig.:eh?:

Last edited:
has anyone gotten a reply lately from them?
I accepted the switch review 2 weeks ago but never got a shipping email or reply, emailed them a week ago about what the status is and still no response

maybe i'll contact live support and see if they can get me to whoever is in charge of it

Hi guys, I'm back! lol

I emailed them a few days ago since I haven't received any notices from them in like... a year. I was changing email addresses anyway so I wanted to let them know just in case I was still part of it. They told me they had continued to send notices to my old email but I never received them, and told me they'd put my new email on the list to receive notifications. So, I guess maybe I'll see where it goes from here.

It worked out kind of well because I started a big project that left me out of my house without a computer for a year.

Now the trouble is that my comp died randomly a couple of days ago. I'm trying to get that sorted... I guess if worst comes to worst I can buy some new components with some of that plastic money... lol

In the mean time, happy reviewing to you all.

Wish I could get an invite to this program.

Have several reviews marked as helpful. But not enough I guess?

Wish I could get an invite to this program.

Have several reviews marked as helpful. But not enough I guess?

What I find strange is I've hardly had any reviews marked as helpful. Maybe one or two people give it a :thup: but not a whole lot. :shrug:

That doesn't mean I don't want to do the best job possible now though.

I've had a few marked as unhelpful, and I've noticed it's always when the same Eggxpert has reviewed the same item and funnily enough all the other eggxpert reviewers on those items have had an unhelpful tag. Similarly I've had a few marked helpful, in fact more of my Amazon reviews are marked as helpful than on Newegg, but I've been less assiduous about reviewing my purchases on Amazon than on Newegg, I would love to be on their Vine program.

Back