• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jobs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharlesHF

Ever since the thread with a lot of us folder's pics, I've been wondering: what do you do for jobs? I just like to get to know you guys better.
I'll start: right now, I'm doing a little bit of construction, hopefully to be followed by a computer job here in town. :)

currently employed at staples, but the half hour drive there and the half hour drive back suxors.. plus i get paid pennies.. not even.. half pennies.. :) starting my own buisness though.. gonna get serious, instead of just on the side like i have been the past couple 3 years..

CharlesHF said:
Broken water? :confused:

Your water is obviously not broken. ;) I mean well water mostly. Iron/sulphur/extreme hardness removal, sterilization, etc. If you have problems with so much sulphur that it's eating through your pipes and you can smell it from 3 blocks away, or iron ruining everything in your house, or water so hard that soap doesn't work at all, or bacteria infestation so that you can't drink it or serve it to guests because they'll get sick then you have broken water.

Ploaf said:

Your water is obviously not broken. ;) I mean well water mostly. Iron/sulphur/extreme hardness removal, sterilization, etc. If you have problems with so much sulphur that it's eating through your pipes and you can smell it from 3 blocks away, or iron ruining everything in your house, or water so hard that soap doesn't work at all, or bacteria infestation so that you can't drink it or serve it to guests because they'll get sick then you have broken water.

Aahhh....now I understand. Cool. :)

I work in the oilfield drilling industry as a Drilling Fluids Engineer, which requires me to work a 14 day on and 14 day off schedule. That's why I disappear from the forums for a couple of weeks at a time.:( I deal primarily with solids-laden, non-newtonian fluids of various densities mostly but occasoinally will run some brine water completion fluids, which are newtonian fluids. My job has helped tremendously in setting up my watercooled rig too.:D

muddocktor

i work for a small college doing all their tech and network stuff(software and hardware) and am also the admin(which will hopefully lead to more folding comps) !! it is by far the most fun i have ever had at work.

i do everything from running cat6 and fiber to building comps to setting up networks from scratch.

honestly i would not have this job if it wasn't for overclockers... i learning just about everything i know from here and i am still learning. so a big thanks to everyone here!!!!!

NASsoccer: I used to have that same job, but at a bigger college, I loved it.

But, I'm currently unemployed :(

So, anyone in the Philadelphia area want to hire me :)

-Rav

I work at a plastics company,the dept I head makes the zipper for plastic bags,and the zippers we sell to outside customers like pinkerton for there Redman Chewing tobaco things like that.14 years and counting......

I am a miller beer merchandiser.
I go around to all the major grocery stores around my area and stock the shelves of the products the distrubitor I work for carries.
Easy job for $10/h :D

muddocktor said:
I work in the oilfield drilling industry as a Drilling Fluids Engineer, which requires me to work a 14 day on and 14 day off schedule. That's why I disappear from the forums for a couple of weeks at a time.:( I deal primarily with solids-laden, non-newtonian fluids of various densities mostly but occasoinally will run some brine water completion fluids, which are newtonian fluids. My job has helped tremendously in setting up my watercooled rig too.:D

muddocktor

Ahhh! Now I get your nic ... :D

I don't do anything quite so exciting. I work in a small company of DP experts, specializing in data conversion for large financial companies (insurance, credit cards, banks, etc.).

I'm the Manager of a Wholesale Htg and Air conditioning supplier. I'm currently managing the branch in Independence, Ky.
So far, it has helped me in my designing of the refrigerated water cooling setup I'm in the works on:D :cool:

i work in an Architects Firm as a CAD operator, aka drafter or "plotboy" LOL.
will go on for an education in Computing, most likely networking...any suggestion?

Kato said:
will go on for an education in Computing, most likely networking...any suggestion?
My dad is a architect and a partner (one out of two) at his architecture firm. :)

Kato said:

(1) Think long-term. Don't get caught up in what's hot at the moment. DP runs in cycles - up and down.

(2) Find something you really enjoy doing, even if it's not in computers.

(3) In networking (from what I'm told), diversity is the key. If you can learn MS and Novell and Cisco, you ARE all that. :D

jobs

Night Security Guard at the Tx Ofiice of the Attorney General Child Support bldg. This from security in UT sororities and dorms only a year ago. Seeking PT employment at a local custom computer store... www.laboratorycomputers.com

I work for a small telecom company. We make pre-paid phone cards and I setup and maintain the phone switch and install T-1 lines and stuff.

You ever use a pre-paid phone card? The voice prompt that tells you how much money you have left and how much time you can talk for? I program that as well.

I also have complete control of all the PCs in our office, hence the 12 Ghz of Folding power to date. Actually, I just added another 850 Mghz so it should be 12.4 Ghz. :)

Last edited:
Interesting workaholic background :D

I'm a midage fart still young at heart :D

What do I work on "scratch my head" Uh... Uh.. Let's see ..... I forgot can anybody repeat the question again :p j k/d

I started out as a carpenter, Residental electric tech, electronic tech (repair Amp,TV etc) salad preparer, Waiter, Concrete construction worker, Show biz electronic games technician, electronic technician (fix computer), CAD design engineer, Network System administrator :) this is the best one of all I have soooo.. much folding power yay !!! Looking forward to work on Computer geek shop or do nothing :)

Back