• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

brand important?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Altar

Registered
if i do not plan on overclocking my ram, and i dont, how much difference does it make to buy something like corsair over something generic?

Well, I doubt you'd see any performance difference at the same stock speed however with Corsair/Crucial, you do have a lifetime warranty covering the product. Personally, when I'm not overclocking, I use Crucial memory because it performs well, is backed by that warranty and is only a bit more expensive than generic/house brand stuff.

~THT

performance wise if you're not overclocking, i doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the 2 sticks, although beware, REALLY cheap memory sometimes can be the cause of some bad crashes and freezups on your PC.

getting some decent Crucial, or Kingston Value RAM isnt THAT much more than buying generic, a mistake that i havent made since i started building PC's.

like Top Hat Theater said, its worth the extra $$ just for the lifetime warranty in my opinion!

Gizmo

I agree with what they other two said. With Crucial or Kingston you know you are getting quality RAM. It may cost you a bit more intially but you do not have to worry about the RAM going bad on you and having to spend more money.

Yep, I overclock with my Crucial and it performs great, I never had any worries about it and never will...

well, i can get generic with a lifetime warrantee. is the performance any worse if im not OCing it? or is brand just an issue of stability?

dude, just dont buy generic stuff no matter if you want to oc or not, crappy pcbs lead to unstability and a bit less performance, just go with crucial...

bomberbear that avatar r0x0rz!!!

Yeah sounds like you'd be good with Crucial. I not an extreame overclocker but my unlocked 1800+ runs at 1.69ghz with PC2100 Crucial. I've used crucial for quite sometime now and they've always served me really well.

Back