• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD user thinking of going Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clash

Currently have the system in my sig. Thinking of putting a Intel system together to see what i can get it to do.

Any suggestions on a chip for around $150.00? Do i need to look for a particular stepping? Do Intel Chips come like that?

Thanks for your time.

chip for 150.. 2.4b is your chip. SL6RZ Costa rica week 52 is the best you can do. otherwise i'd get a SL6EF (not sure on the other details on this stepping).

and welcome to the dark side :D

If you can wait a little while I would suggest getting a 2.4C when the price drops below $200 and pair that with a canterwood board such as the Abit IC7 or Asus P4C800.

TC said:
If you can wait a little while I would suggest getting a 2.4C when the price drops below $200 and pair that with a canterwood board such as the Abit IC7 or Asus P4C800.
already below $200, mine was $198 shipped. p4c800, $185 shipped, and 2x256 buffalo pc3700, $124 shipped. killer system.:D

What kind of differneces are there between the 2.4B and 2.4C ?
C handle more voltage,just plain OC better?

C comes at a much lower multiplyer and defualt at 200fsb. they normally oc 250fsb and higher.

B is 133fsb and normally ocs 170fsb. if u find a good RZ stepping then u should expect to hit 180-200fsb on air.

the C chip will require a springdale or canter board. u would want a dual ram board anyways so id get the C chip if u got alittle cash to burn.

AZN said:
C comes at a much lower multiplyer and defualt at 200fsb. they normally oc 250fsb and higher.

B is 133fsb and normally ocs 170fsb. if u find a good RZ stepping then u should expect to hit 180-200fsb on air.

the C chip will require a springdale or canter board. u would want a dual ram board anyways so id get the C chip if u got alittle cash to burn.

Dont forget that uber hyperthreading :D

clash said:
Currently have the system in my sig. Thinking of putting a Intel system together to see what i can get it to do.

Any suggestions on a chip for around $150.00? Do i need to look for a particular stepping? Do Intel Chips come like that?

Thanks for your time.

marrrr :( how could yo ubetray us like that

get a barton :mad:

lets face it fiji, when $ aint an issue intel has the upper hand bar none

amd will always have a spot in my heard since it kept me well all this time with an uber tight budget and if theres another p3 vs athlon thingy between amd and intel i wont hessitate to switch back :D

Re: Re: AMD user thinking of going Intel

fiji said:

marrrr :( how could yo ubetray us like that

get a barton :mad:
u are the one to talk. from ur sig it says u got a intel rig :)

These duel ram boards, the ones with 4 slots, will they run 4 sticks of 256Mb RAM all dueled? or will it only duel two slots? Also can you clock one pair of duel slots to 2100 and the other pair to 3200 speeds? Just I don't think my crucial 2100 will clock up to the speeds of my other 3200 memmory.

yes they will run all 4 in dual mode but only 2 is required to run dual.

no dont use pc2100 mixed with 3200 it wont work or atleast the manual says it wont. i havent tried it outt myself but they recomment using the extact same sticks.

The Canterwoods can run one stick of RAM for single channel, no problem. You can run dual channel with 2 or 4 sticks. It's best to use all matching sticks of RAM for dual channel. You might be able to run mixed RAM, but it won't be pretty. At best, it'll only run as fast as the slowest stick. I'd forget about trying to use PC2100. Sell them and save up a little more cash to get better stuff.

Im not dumping either processor, i am building a 3rd machine for the house. I have 2 AMD's allready, just want to see what i can get a Intel to do. So far, it sounds good to me....

get a barton

So far, it looks like they dont OC worth a darn....

Back