• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Thermalright Ultra 120 the absolute best air cooler in existence?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have never used anything but stock cooling before I bought my ultra-120, but I have to say I'm extremely impressed with it. 52 C full load @ 3.98ghz. I don't remember what my old temps were but I made a thread when I first got it. I'll try and find it.

*Edit: Here's the thread w/ my results.
Although since then I switched my 820 and 930 so I'm now running the 930 in that rig @ 3.98ghz, 34 C idle and 52 C loaded w/ dual fah.
I switched it about an hour ago so it still has a long way to oc:santa:

Could you see your temps on the Ultra 120 at clocks that would generate comparable heat to my 820 at stock, with passive cooling on it?

The thread I posted above had results from me using with my 820 @ I believe 3.85ghz, I've had it up far past that without heat being too much of a problem.

I see that you have 820 results, but do you have any idea how the heatsink performs without a fan on it, or with the fan off?

dguy6789 said:
How would you rank the Ultra 120, Big Typhoon, XP90C, and the Ninja if they all were using 30DB or less fans?

workign the best with a quiet fan would definitely be the scythe ninja ..
as far as the best air coolers .. its between these .. scythe ninja .. tuniq tower 120 .. never used the ultra 120 .. so i cant say for that ..

but for the most part the tuniq tower and the ninja are among the best

ill prolly go tuniq tower on conroe unless scythe ever releases the all copper ninja that they keep showing off

our very own wonderful amazing overclockers did a great review of it: http://www.overclockers.com/articles1329/

I have one waiting for my conroe because I feel it is the best air cooler available. The big typhoon is nice, but it blows hot air onto the motherboard (or away). The ultra is in line with the rear exhaust fan(s) which I think is much more ideal.

madhatR said:
ill prolly go tuniq tower on conroe unless scythe ever releases the all copper ninja that they keep showing off
Scythe has stated that it was only a concept model and that they're never going to produce and sell it on the market. Sorry, dude.

I hear all of you sweating the conroe. Please tell me what you like so much about it and to whatever you say all I have to say is wait till amd releases the 4X4 near november unless you have money to burn.

By the way my case i ordered for my new system a fan built into the front of the case and one on the side case the front is 140mm and the side is 250mm and their is mesh material in front of them. what im wondering is if the ultra 120 came very close to the side fan would it be bad for overall motherboard/chipset/cpu cooling or would it be better having cold air against the heat sink and warm out sucked out the front?I actually chose the si 120 for my am2 board based on really good benchmarks. with all the cooling am2 boards do by themselves i think my system will be really cool probably wont get the board over 47c.

Last edited:
Back