• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi power pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krum

Registered
Hi y'all! I'm new to this WC stuff so bear with me here, OK? In reading about WC basics, (max head, C/W, etc.) it seems to me I could just take a small ice chest and put a high power submersible pump in it. I found this Aquarius 2000 which puts out 2000 gph and has a max head of 15ft. It has a one inch outlet but I could put a half inch adapter on it and turn down the power if I needed to. Would this work OK or am I missing something here? Thanks!

Sure it will work, but I think its gonna put out way to much PSI for the loop to handle. I am using a HD pump. its got 12FT max head and 300GPH at 1FT head. it was around 50$. Thing is built like a tank and is less than 20DBA no joke. Really It depends, but pumps like that will not be as cost effective a DAnger Mag 3, ect... Read up on stickes.

hmmm, I can't seem to find much info on how much heat this pump puts into the water. It's 125 watts. I'm looking at other aquarium and pond pumps too. With most you can run them submerged or not. What would be a good head height to GPS ratio to look for?

Krum said:
hmmm, I can't seem to find much info on how much heat this pump puts into the water. It's 125 watts. I'm looking at other aquarium and pond pumps too. With most you can run them submerged or not. What would be a good head height to GPS ratio to look for?

its power consumption is 125w?? Thats a lot. The Eheim 1250 taks 28w and the MCP600 takes 9w...

Are you planning to run multiple cooling loops in parrallel and powering them with just one pump? IE cooling a large folding farm with one pump?
If not what are you looking for such a powerful pump for?

I want to cool CPU>GPU>NB on my gaming computer. I'll use a heater core and a couple of fans to cool them. The pump doesn't have to be submerged, it just seemed more convenient that way. The only reason I considered such a powerful pump is that I saw a lot of threads debating whether this or that pump was powerful enough, and it seemed to me that I could just go down to Walmart and pick up a powerful, cheap aquarium/pond pump and have done with it. I was thinking of designing my whole pump/radiator/res combo as a compact portable unit, so my only real concern is the noise the fans and pump will generate. Don't care too much about power consumption, just heat dissipation capabilities and noise. I guess you're trying to say I'm going into overkill?:D

Power consumption is usually a sign that a pump generates a lot of heat. For you a Mag 3, Eheim 1250, Swiftech MP600, or Hydor L30 should do the job just fine. Also by downsizing the fittings on that pump you listed it will probably decrease performance considerably.

Krum said:
I want to cool CPU>GPU>NB on my gaming computer. I'll use a heater core and a couple of fans to cool them.

That's what he's doing. Sounds like a pretty normal setup. He won't need a huge pump unless his rad is going to be a few rooms over. Hehe.

Hey guys how's this pump sound? I can get it for 55 bucks at walmart. here's the stats: Beckett G535AG20
Dimensions
Cord 20'
Height 3"
Length 5"
Width 4"
Electrical
Amps 1.2
HP 1/20
Volts 115
Watts 80
Performance
04 Feet 434 GPH
06 Feet 356 GPH
10 Feet 193 GPH
12.4 Feet Shutoff
Whadya think???? Thanks for the help!

hmm.. sounds like it would be alright I guess, but its still overkill. For 50 bucks, you can get yourself a nice hydor L30 or something alike.

Yeah I forgot about that. If its anything like a sump pump its not meant to run for extended periods of time, it will burn up if left running. I would have to second going with a Hydor L30.

greenman100 said:

which is why I said "like", and I guess I should have looked it up, but my point was it wasn't anywhere near bursting a heatercore

I know an approximation was your intention. I'm just a stickler for details.

But we do agree heater cores are the weak links. But your not going to easily find a centrifugal pump capable of 30 psi without getting into the industrial world. Industrial = $$$$ However, if any of you are *really* concerned about blowing out your core, an easy fix is to just let the water block bear the brunt of the pressure by putting it first before the core.

These pumps are meant for continuous use and i just saw this pump metioned favorably in the waterchill forurms. There is also a slightly smaller Beckett with these stats:
Electrical
Amps 0.8
HP 1/40
Volts 115
Watts 50
Performance
04 Feet 218 GPH
06 Feet 169 GPH
10 Feet 71 GPH
12.2 Feet Shutoff
I'm kinda wondering about that "shutoff" though. Does that mean that once it reaches a certain pressure the pump quits? That would NOT be a good thing!

Back