• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with 6850 and BC2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greenchevy33

Hello everyone, I recently purchased an MSI Radeon 6850 it runs flawlessly on everything except Battlefield Bad Company 2 (the main game I got this for), I'm only getting 15-20 fps and real bad stutters, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this, any info would be appreciated, oh, and I'm using the latest catalyst driver

System Specs:
650w CoolerMaster PSU
Pentium Dual Core 1.8
2 gigs Ram
6850 Radeon
Vista 32 bit

I think your CPU is choking your GPU. BC2 is more of a CPU dependant game optimized for quad core CPU's. What resolution are you playing at? EDIT: Oh sorry for being rude. :welcome: 2EDIT: You could benefit from more RAM too. 4 gigs should be your target even though you have a 32 bit OS, meaning you will only see up to 4GB max of system RAM including video memory.

Last edited:
Yes I agree on the cpu, it's killing me, and an upgrade is coming soon; but the card I had before this was a gt 220 and it would run the game at 25-30 fps and was playable, it's not even playable with the 6850

1280x1024 is the resolution

Last edited:
Yea I'm using the 11.1 drivers and all the settings are on low with bloom and hsao both off, no aa, no af; and it still performs as if it's epileptic

Is 1280x1024 your highest resolution? Try changing resolution. Did you completely uninstall the nvidia drivers and run Driver Sweeper in the safe mode before you installed 11.1 drivers?

Pentium D overclocks really well. Might want to put it to the wall before you upgrade and see if it is satisfactory. Even then you could get away with a cheap upgrade- find a Q6600 for 40 bucks or something.. Assuming that your motherboard is a good overclocker and natively or through a bios update will support four core.

Yes 1280x1024 is the highest res I can choose from, ran driversweep, cleaned out all the old nvidia stuff I had before i installed the new drivers;
I've tried to OC the cpu but my bios is locked

*sigh* Well I was planning to upgrade anyway, probably around 500-600$ budget; been looking at the AMD 6 core cpu, any thoughts on that? or should I get one of the new i series cpus? give me some input guys it would be greatly apprieciated

*edit* Hey at least I already have a brand new psu and video card :S

Well 6 cores are nice for certain things but gaming isn't one of them. With a $600 budget and you already have the psu and video card, I can throw someting together. Are you reusing Vista 32 bit?

No I won't be reusing Vista 32-bit, and I would like to get a board with 2 pci-e slots for future(possible) crossfiring

Try this setup:

MB: $135 GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H

CPU: $225 Intel Core i5-2500K

RAM: $65 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB

CASE: $100 COOLER MASTER HAF 922

CPU COOLER: $30 COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

So far what I have listed is about $555 and you could reuse your HDD or get a newer one for about $60. You can also upgrade to a SSD say a 30GB for your OS and use your HDD for storage. You are reusing your GPU and PSU so that about covers it I think.

EDIT: Oh I calculated with no OS so you'll need to add another $110 or so for Win 7 64 bit.

EDIT2: I just noticed that the MB I picked has CrossfireX at 16x and 4x which isn't that great so you would have to spend more for one at (8x, 8x) in Crossfire. It's hard to get all of the goodies with a lower budget so you would really have to do your research.

Last edited:
Back