• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tribes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittlePiggie

Does anyone still play tribes? that game kicked a**. I bring this up because I was rooting through my games, and pulled it from the bottom of the pile. I remember the good old days...

Yes.

I play Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 exclusively. In Tribes 1, I am Fallen|JMC, and in Tribes 2 I am Fallen|JohnMcClane. The games are both still alive. The competitive ladder that everyone uses is www.teamwarfare.com. Actually, Tribes 2 is being re-released. This is because of the dawn of 2 things: Classic Mod and Team Rabbit 2. Classic Mod is a mod to the game made by the leader of Vanguard (=V= are their clan tags) to make the game faster (aka more like Tribes 1). There is mine disking again, skiing, and disc jumping for example... just like it was in Tribes 1. Team Rabbit 2 is a soccer style game where there is one flag, two teams. The object of the game is to throw the flag into a goal to score. You can pass the flag around and throw it at various speeds, as there is a power bar at the bottom when you throw it. It's fun as hell, you should really check it out. And as for UT2k3... its CTF sucks compared to Tribes. ;) So come play sometime, I hope to see you there.

Popular Tribes 1 servers: Cheater's Wayside, Heaven, Hell, Old Skoolz West

Popular Tribes 2 servers: Vanguard - Sacramento, [KY] Server, 5150 Competition East

LittlePiggie said:
Does anyone still play tribes? that game kicked a**. I bring this up because I was rooting through my games, and pulled it from the bottom of the pile. I remember the good old days...

There are way more than 10 servers for Tribes 2 by the way. You must have installed right in the middle of the new patch being released. It wasn't on Sierra's Auto-Updater then, but I'm pretty sure it should be now.

Sorry Ryz, I shoulda been a little more clear.
I gues I meant using my previous filter settings It went from aprox50-100 servers to 10. It just looked like not as many people were playing the game anymore.
My filter was set for min 20 players and max ping 150.
I did not mean to dis Tribes 2...It is one of my favourite games of all time. I even had the misfortune to be the unlucky few at the begining who recieved no support from sierra(Asus a7v133 owners). I even returned the game at one point....sierra support bites the big one. But T2 was such a awesome game I found a way to fix my prob and re-purchased the game and my roomie and I loved it for months.

Maybe I will giver it one more try considering the trade in Value(Electronics Boutique) is pretty low.

Hey Ryz...when is that new T2 add on coming out? I heard about it months ago and was excited that T2 was getting a face lift and new life!!! I thought maybe they canned the idea:eek:

Hey! this is refreshing. I still play both, and love em. I am MoolaMoola in both, and I will be on for good in two weeks (payday) when I am getting 640/256 cable or 640/640 dsl. not decided yet. anyway, i am excited about the new patch and want to try it.:) yay!! I also have wanted to start a tribe of my own for a while now, so anyone want to do that?

I don't know much about an "add on" so to speak... just the new patch that makes the game more like Tribes 1. A while ago, there WERE plans, however, to make a new Tribes game called Tribes: Fast Attack, but that idea was canned. But the Tribes "spokesman" I guess you could say has told the community that Tribes will live on and there will be another Tribes title sometime in the future.

And if you guys are gonna be trying it out again and playing on these servers, don't be surprised if you get your head handed to you on a plate. :) Tribes, in my opinion, is the first person shooter that takes the most skill due to the skill it takes to fly around and the kinds of weapons you have. It's a tough game to learn but once you get good at it, it's more fun than any other game, and its Capture the Flag is the best of the bunch. I can't even play any other CTF game because of Tribes' CTF being so damn good. :D

The_Ryz_Factor said:
I don't know much about an "add on" so to speak... just the new patch that makes the game more like Tribes 1. A while ago, there WERE plans, however, to make a new Tribes game called Tribes: Fast Attack, but that idea was canned. But the Tribes "spokesman" I guess you could say has told the community that Tribes will live on and there will be another Tribes title sometime in the future.

And if you guys are gonna be trying it out again and playing on these servers, don't be surprised if you get your head handed to you on a plate. :) Tribes, in my opinion, is the first person shooter that takes the most skill due to the skill it takes to fly around and the kinds of weapons you have. It's a tough game to learn but once you get good at it, it's more fun than any other game, and its Capture the Flag is the best of the bunch. I can't even play any other CTF game because of Tribes' CTF being so damn good. :D

From what I heard they were planning a add that you could buy. It would add some new game play and single player missions. Basically a little something to keep the gamers happy and draw in a new crowd. I imagine that it has been canned and that is a shame...this game deserves to keep going on..there is so much variety.
I wonder why there no mods using the Tribes engine? I heard about a proposed "star wars" mod and "Viet Nam" Mod. I think the T2 engine is pretty sweet and should have been exploited like the Q3 engine!

I don't think I will have problems learning it again, I might be rusty, but that will wear off the first game. I played tribes for 4 years. straight. I bought it the week it came out and played it since, only stopped two months ago cause my connection blows munkey b*lls.

Last month, I got tribes 2 from best buy for $8.59. I had been wanting to play it for a while now, and with a price like it can't be beat. But, I have to agree it does talk a lot of skill to play.

Puer Aeternus said:
I just rescued Tribes 2...installed it, updated and went online...Just 10 servers?!?!...I remember a day when I would get about 100!

Oh well, It looks like T2 is off to be traded in for UT2003.

the new patch has classic. most servers havent updated yet. if you stay with 24xxx you will see 500, 25xx will get you mostly classic servers. t2 is not dead yet. it recently appeared again in the top 10 most played games.

Puer Aeternus said:

From what I heard they were planning a add that you could buy. It would add some new game play and single player missions. Basically a little something to keep the gamers happy and draw in a new crowd. I imagine that it has been canned and that is a shame...this game deserves to keep going on..there is so much variety.
I wonder why there no mods using the Tribes engine? I heard about a proposed "star wars" mod and "Viet Nam" Mod. I think the T2 engine is pretty sweet and should have been exploited like the Q3 engine!

there are mods in both tribes1 AND tribes2 but most of them are not Total conversions. they are scriped based and still alot of fun to play. if you want to play something with new vehicles i suggest TAC2 :D

I've never played TR2. When my stinkin processor gets here, I will try it. Stupid eBAY:mad:. Also, which is better for gaming, DSL or Cable?

Looks like I am out of the club...T2 will not play on my main rig anymore...I have been getting odd crashes and it may be due to drivers or my new GF4. Since I just got my rig working again, I am not going to mess w/ the drivers again for this one game. But then again it plays pretty good on my other rig.....hmmmm....see you guys online:D :D :D
I go by "Inocence"

Oh, as for which is better for gaming DSL or CABLE. Both are equally good. Just too many factors to make a flat out decision like that. Cable is fast but if half the block has cable you may find it kinda slow...W/ DSL you have your own line and speeds are constant but not always as fast as cable.
I have DSL and have no complaints:D

I would be the ONLY one on my block with cable internet, but almost everybody has cable TV. Also, the only times I would be on are from 10pm to 2pm.

LittlePiggie said:
I would be the ONLY one on my block with cable internet, but almost everybody has cable TV. Also, the only times I would be on are from 10pm to 2pm.

Dude, get cable and then stand outside and yell...."I Own"!:D
Lucky guy!
BTW....cable tv does not interfere w/ cable broadband...you should get some pretty fast speeds...jnust make sure they dont put a limit on how much you can download per month. my last company had a 20gig limit...my new isp has no limit to how much I can download:D :D :D

A 20 Gig limit??? That sucks. Charter (cable company) doesn't have a limit but it caps the line. No matter how many people are on the line you have your own set of bandwidth, and for the regular package it SUCKS:mad: Its just their ploy to get you to pay $60 for their "Gold" package, which is just what most people get normally. Needless to say... I hate Charter:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok, sry bout that:D Speaking of T2, I luv that game. Used to be a great sniper, but I'm outa practice.

I still play Tribes2 on an almost daily basis. Pretty much the only server I play on is Combat PA 3.0 T2. It's a mod server (Mousemod) that has a few tweaks that make it far more exciting for me. Cloak pack and shield pack can be run indefinately if you are careful with jetting. Several weapons were given a bit more punch too.

Alas, the new patch has messed with my favorite mod a bit. Cloakers are completely invisible, which makes the infinite cloak pack a real b**** to deal with. Also, the speed boosters got messed up so you could launch yourself completely across the map and have enough speed to die running into a mountain. All problems will be repaired in due time though.

Soo..if any of you want to try taking me on, look for Krusty-- on combat PA. I'm quite proud of my skills there. Much better than counterstrike.

Back