• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2600 suddenly demanding more volts!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastiff

This is the stranges I've seen. I just upgraded both my kids' computers (to Celeron D 3.2) and took the previous mobo, CPU and memory to my office to use them for other stuff. Both had AMD2600, one with a MSI KT-4 Ultra, the other one with a Soyo KT-600 Dragon Ultra. None of them were overclocked. Suddenly I couldn't do anything with the Soyo, it crashed and crashed. After a bit of experimenting I found out that it was the CPU, the other 2600 had no problems. So I switched CPU between those two boards since it's the Soyo that really needs the horsepowers, the other one's gonna be a DVD and HD file server.

Here begins the strange stuff! I put it in the KT-4 and tried StressPrime for fun. Crashed after a minute or so. Then I tried what I would have done if I was overclocking - upping the voltage. I went two notches above the normal (I think 1.5 was standard, and I'm now running 1.6), and suddenly it runs StressPrime perfectly. Could anybody please explain why this CPU suddenly starts to behave this way? I've never seen anything like it!

Mastiff said:
This is the stranges I've seen. I just upgraded both my kids' computers (to Celeron D 3.2) and took the previous mobo, CPU and memory to my office to use them for other stuff. Both had AMD2600, one with a MSI KT-4 Ultra, the other one with a Soyo KT-600 Dragon Ultra. None of them were overclocked. Suddenly I couldn't do anything with the Soyo, it crashed and crashed. After a bit of experimenting I found out that it was the CPU, the other 2600 had no problems. So I switched CPU between those two boards since it's the Soyo that really needs the horsepowers, the other one's gonna be a DVD and HD file server.

Here begins the strange stuff! I put it in the KT-4 and tried StressPrime for fun. Crashed after a minute or so. Then I tried what I would have done if I was overclocking - upping the voltage. I went two notches above the normal (I think 1.5 was standard, and I'm now running 1.6), and suddenly it runs StressPrime perfectly. Could anybody please explain why this CPU suddenly starts to behave this way? I've never seen anything like it!

You may have been undervolting your cpu.

Athlon XP 2600+ --> Barton --> 1.65v --> 11.5 --> 1917MHz 64+64 512 KB

stock volts is 1.65 i believe.

Athlon XP 2600+ --> Thorton --> 1.65v --> 12.5 --> 2250MHz --> 64+64 256 KB

Thats odd that it'd drop below stock volts though.

Actually I don't think that's the case, it has been running perfectly for almost two years before I took the mobo out of my son's case. I didn't even change the cooler or anything, just connected a graphics card and a few other things, and bang! It just didn't want to play anymore. That Soyo card doesn't have voltage adjustments in the BIOS, but the MSI did. I tried with auomatic first, and that didn't work. Then I set it to 1.6 (or maybe it is 1.65), and it works. Another weird thing is that it seems to give out wrong temperature readings. Is it possible that by a freak accident the circuits that sets the automatic volts and all that has gone mad when I changed the mobo, so it reported the wrong automatic voltage to the Soyo mobo and the MSI, while the correct voltage works?

OK, I checked now. It's set manually to 1.65 volts. Setting it to automatic will stop Prime in a minute or so (probably as soon as it really starts to work). I can live with this, it's just so strange.

Back