• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Locked Multiplier on ECS 8200a?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted Diego

Locked Multiplier on ECS GF-8200 mobo?

Hi guys.

I was wondering if its really possible thats ECS has locked the Multiplier on their GF-8200a black series mobo ?

I´m trying to OC my X2 5000+ 2,6Ghz (Brisbane) but i cannot change it, so its stock @ x13. And thats a little annoying :)

Hope U guys can help.

Link to my current speed: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=458634

Last edited:
are you trying to go up or down with the multi?

He should be able to go up or down, the "Black" editions are completely unlocked.

Most budget boards (AND ECS usually falls into that category) offer minimal OC options at best, and sometimes none at all.

Most people that buy a cheap motherboard won't drop in a unlocked CPU and go overclocking.

They are more for stock speeds, or a VERY mild OC in a rig you'd build for a family member that wants to surf the net and play an occasional light duty game.
Or..a family guy who has bills to pay, a younger person that has had to save allowanc,e or cut lawns all summer to save up, and thats the best they can do. I was there once too!

Chances are ECS just did not take into consideration someone would want to change the Multi..you might be able to do it with a software program..let me see if I can find a few utilities that might be worth trying.

he doesent say he has a black edition cpu, he says he has a "black series" mobo
so the question still remains.

i think if its a regular 5000+ he should be able to get the lower down multis, which would probally be better to lower the multi and increase the FSB, hes at 217 if i remember correctly, probally do well with more bus OC

http://www.virtual-hideout.com/reviews/ECS_GF8200A/index4.shtml

check out that review, it doe s OC a bit, but nothing to write home about.

Out of curiousity, why do you care if the multiplier goes down anyways?

Most people want to OVERCLOCK, not underclock!

In order to get it to unlock down (Your cpu will never unlock up) very often you need to change another setting in the bios from the "Auto" to "Manual" setting on order to use some of the other settings.

Other times, early bios versions have problems that can be fixed by using the latest version.

CPUZ will tell you what version you are running now on the "Motherboard" tab.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Other then that, you might try to see if someone has a similar issue by reading the customer reviews at new egg (There are 71 of them)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135085

The latest bios version:

BIOS Name BIOS for GF8200A (PCB:1.x)
Version 08/08/22
Release Date 2008/08/27
Update Description Release Reason:
1.update AGESA 3.2.7.0
2.update NVMM 4.82.82
3.update 8111b lan boot rom 2.17

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...tegoryID=1&DetailName=Bios&MenuID=123&LanID=0

I have tryied the "auto/manual" settings i BIOS and no Multiplier unlock.

My BIOS is from 05/05-2008

As u can see i "My current speed"(signature) iam running at 2.9 @ 1.25vcore.

I hate when i cant change the MP. I know its not nessersery but still

(sorry for the bad english, but the spelling tjek doesent work for me)

Your English is pretty good, better then alot of the young kids I often see on forums :confused:

So..it's just something that "Bugs" you, and there is no other reason!

Your BIOS version 05/05-2008 is definately older then the latest 08/08/22

If you update it, it may fix the multiplier locking issue, and possibly help you OC a bit more.

On the other hand, if done improperly (Have you done them before?) you could end up with a real problem! (Your motherboard may not boot anymore)

If your happy with everything else the way it is, and are just annoyed by it...leave it be! :santa:

:welcome:
I have tryied the "auto/manual" settings i BIOS and no Multiplier unlock.
If true that's too bad. I bet your RAM would crank a lot higher if you could turn down the multi ... :-/
Out of curiousity, why do you care if the multiplier goes down anyways?

Most people want to OVERCLOCK, not underclock!
You must have an Intel background. K8's are more flexable than that.

Us AMD guys actually have fun OC'ing our rigs - we don't do it just for performance ... :D

Last edited:
Not sure about the ECS 8200, but on the Biostar TF8200 you need to disable "Power Now" (Cool"n"Quiet) in the BIOS before you can change the CPU multiplier maybe its something similar with the ECS BIOS.

Your English is pretty good, better then alot of the young kids I often see on forums

Thanks. But what do you mean with "young kid´s" ? :p

Your BIOS version 05/05-2008 is definately older then the latest 08/08/22

If you update it, it may fix the multiplier locking issue, and possibly help you OC a bit more.

On the other hand, if done improperly (Have you done them before?) you could end up with a real problem! (Your motherboard may not boot anymore)

Well i have done it once but that didnt go well(some years ago) so that part is out of the question :eh?:

If true that's too bad. I bet your RAM would crank a lot higher if you could turn down the multi ...

Correct! That is spot on... I cant go past 400(800), without getting a "ram speeed too fast, bios automated lowerd ram speed setting(cant remember exact what it is writing, but i think you got the messege)"

Last edited:
Correct! That is spot on... I cant go past 400(800), without getting a "ram speeed too fast, bios automated lowerd ram speed setting(cant remember exact what it is writing, but i think you got the messege)"
You need to turn the RAM option to manual instead of auto, then set the RAM speed to 800 so BIOS can't lower it. But you really need that lower multi so you have a CPU/6 divider. I think that would be just about right ...

I have updated my bios to 08/08/22(the latest) and still no multiplier unlock.

You need to turn the RAM option to manual instead of auto, then set the RAM speed to 800 so BIOS can't lower it. But you really need that lower multi so you have a CPU/6 divider. I think that would be just about right ...

Already tryed, no change at all... Its pretty annoying that i cant OC my ram.

I have thoug OC my CPU to 3046mhz stable and very cool.

Vali here

:welcome:
If true that's too bad. I bet your RAM would crank a lot higher if you could turn down the multi ... :-/
You must have an Intel background. K8's are more flexable than that.

Us AMD guys actually have fun OC'ing our rigs - we don't do it just for performance ... :D

ROFL..now that hurts!:eek:

I use Intel now kicking and screaming all the way, I am a former benchmark junkie, and used to be the king of FSB with AMD at my old site (Former staff member/writer at PimpRig (Now known as PCApex)

I was one of the first around to break 500FSB on the old AMD XP (540 actually)
600+ on a 754, and 700+ with the 939...it all started when I bought my first DFI (LP Rev B) to replace the Abit NF-7 I toasted shortly after hitting DDR500 (But only in assynch mode...the rest of them were 1 to 1) After that, I couldn't wait till new DFI boards hit the shelves, usually getting one within the first week of release.
My 6800 Ultra SLI 4000+ with chilled air ended up in the 3D05 top ten hall of fame (Number 7) back in April 05.

When rumors of the Core 2 performance started showing up at Xtreme Systems, I knew the days of my 939 rig were numbered, and couldn't see going AM-2...and when they hit the pavement, I grudgingly bought a E6600, and eventually ended up with a QX6800 8800 ultra combo on LN-2 that ended up with a top 20 score in 3D06 last year (Pooled funds with a buddy, he bought the CPU/GPU's, and I bought the rest)

Thanks. But what do you mean with "young kid´s" ? :p

Well..not all of the kids are punks that can't spell or use grammer (It's pretty good at this forum) But there are alot of them out there, I wasn't pointing any fingers! (You do sound on the younger side...I'm 42)

Last edited:
Hello OFC :)

I have updated my bios to 08/08/22(the latest) and still no multiplier unlock.

Already tryed, no change at all... Its pretty annoying that i cant OC my ram.

I have thoug OC my CPU to 3046mhz stable and very cool.

Vali here

Hello, as u see i've registered to OCF with ur message :) So, i have ECS GF8200 mobo and AMD X2 5000 2600 Brisbane (but not BE) I wonder;

1) How u could make it stable @13x since you didn't change ur CPU multiplier? Bcoz i can't change it any up after 210mhz. :( No screen after booting at all...

2) Since you updated ur BIOS to Version "08/08/22" u got any little problem up to now ? (Because some guys talk "stay away from ECS BIOS Update and it can cause some problems)

3) I have some problems with waiting so much start menu items just under "all programs" in XP Pro, as i have to wait so much when i want to launch any tree that contains so mant icons especially after running a software like PhotoShop need so much RAM. I guess it's related with my low quality Kingston RAMs tho' I just wanted to learn if u have the same problem. (BTW, it's been a little bit faster since i have it DUAL Kingston 800Mhz @ 5-5-5-14 ) It seems so silly to me because i haven't even had such problem with my oldest Celeron 500a :D

I hope you answer my questions and you can share your OC parameters with me in details all you have done, it would be appreciated much :)

PS: Sorry for my English, it's not my primary language :)

Last edited:
Hello and I have a ECS 8200A Black Seriers

Hello I have the same motherbaord been useing it for the last 5 month so far I have a AMD 9850 with that motherboard ECS 8200A
[/URL

and u can unlock the CPU multiplier to 1.0x ot 25.0x i'm sure newer bios for AM3 support have more multiplier and my Bios is at 5/22/08 check it out

[URL=http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mysystem.jpg]

and my volts are not doing 1.5 they are at 1.3 at defualt it does 1.58 watch out on auto in the Bios for that AMD 9850 BE CPU on this board. i haven't update the BIOS yet i'm kind scared to update my BIOS last time I had a hard time to understand how to update your BIOS in step by step and did replace the board because of the updateing Bios.

Diego, do you understand what we're asking when we enquire whether or not your brizzy is a black edition? The black edition AMD cpus have unlocked multipliers, meaning you can make the cpu go faster without raising the speed of the ram and the bus (the data bit highway between the ram and the cpu). If you do not have a black edition (be) then you can only make the cpu go faster by overclocking the ram and the bus. If you do not have a be cpu then you will not be able to change the clock multiplier in bios upward, though you may be able to change it downward.

Anyone know what he would of done to overclock his cpu? I would like to try the same with mine but dunno where to start in the bios unless he used software?

Back