• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep it on, or shut it down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I shut mine down every night before bed. My antivirus subscription is a live on so it only counts the hours it's online.

I set mine to hibernate after 1 hour.

Not shut off but not sucking down watts either. I don't fold crunch or mine . And when I am home my PC is generally being used whether because I am actually on it or it is playing music or videos to entertain me while I do something else.

I don't have AC in my room and my comp uses alot of power.

It get's put to sleep so that the third floor of my house doesn't turn into an amazon rainforest.

Also, the hibernate function on windows 7 is fantastic, I never have any issues w/ it.

I usually shut mine down every night when I go to bed, Unless i have it doing something like downloading a new game from steam, win updates etc.. I also turn off the power strip when I shut it down, still use the old power strips the sit under your monitor. I unplug if a storm is coming.

My system takes longer to post then it does to boot. but thats casue of OC setting and voltage checks. still from the time I hit the power button, Im up and rdy in like 20 seconds

I'm of the standby persuasion. The diference between "off" and "standby" is about 3 watts on my system, and I don't have to bother with shutdown or bootup :)

JigPu

I turn them off at home, I leave my work computer on all week but turn it off on Fridays. Besides, my home computers are all running SSD's so they boot quickly anyway, so there's no real inconvenience to turning them off.

My system takes longer to post then it does to boot. but thats casue of OC setting and voltage checks. still from the time I hit the power button, Im up and rdy in like 20 seconds

So true. How SSD's have changed things. ;)

I turn them off at home, I leave my work computer on all week but turn it off on Fridays. Besides, my home computers are all running SSD's so they boot quickly anyway, so there's no real inconvenience to turning them off.

So true. How SSD's have changed things. ;)

I have yet to get one, i have all this hexa core Phenom muscle strangled by a slow grinding mechanical brick!

Phenom muscle... remember? you used to have some of that :D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p:p:p

:popcorn:

I have not ever turned off my computers, they are usually on for months. The only time they ever get turned off is when Windows runs updates and needs a reset for that.
I have been doing this since I got my first computer more then 15 years ago and havent really had any issues in doing that.

I rarely shut it down unless I wont be back home for over a day or so. If leaving this on hurts me in the electricity bill department, I have bigger problems than a couple $ /month it actually is to run leave it on.

shut down my gaming rig at night, but partly because it makes more noise then i can bear to sleep with. My work computers i leave on because i don't leave enough time between waking up and starting work

Sleep mode, been using it for years. Computer sips power when asleep.

Also doesn't generate heat when not in use keeping my cooling costs down

I usually shut mine down every night when I go to bed, Unless i have it doing something like downloading a new game from steam, win updates etc.. I also turn off the power strip when I shut it down, still use the old power strips the sit under your monitor. I unplug if a storm is coming.

I do the same exact thing.

I have yet to get one, i have all this hexa core Phenom muscle strangled by a slow grinding mechanical brick!

Phenom muscle... remember? you used to have some of that :D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p:p:p

:popcorn:

Lol, yup however I just wanted a BD so I gave my old Thuban to a mate, got his onld Athlon II X4 which will go to another mate..... Got to get all my mates upgraded to play BF3.

There's a fair bit of heat comes out the back of my system while gaming now, my old Thuban used to run cold :shrug:

When you do make the transition to an SSD you'll love it.

Considering moving to an Intel build next. I've not owned an Intel since my old Pentium 100 back when I was in high school.

mine has the same same sleep scheduled as me,as long as im up its running but at night its shutdown,like Bobnova said i believe your friend was referring to older HDD's were every shutdown was a potential failure for the HDD.its really up to you if your on and off it all day then just leave it running and shut it down at night if you just check email once a day or something just keep it off til needed.

I put mines to sleep whenever im gonna step away from it for awhile and shut it down when I know ill be gone for a extended period (work, vacation).

Back