• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better OC results by lowering the Core Voltage?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

App

This article is posted on the home page. Has anybody made the same experiences?? Thx

2/11/01 - New overclocking tactic: LOWER the voltage We're getting enough people reporting that they're actually doing better by lowering voltage that you might want to try it.

Here's just one example:

"I bought a Tbird 1100 3 days ago and was disappointed that it would only go 1236 and no higher with up to 1.88 volts. I never would have thought about trying voltage under default, until I read what others were finding. With Abit KT7-raid, Alpha PEP66 and a 26 cfm fan so far I'm getting 1320(110x12) at 1.68 volts, and my cpu temps average about 3 degrees cooler than 1236 at 1.78 volts. It will run 1200 at 1.58 volts! This just blows me away. Well, back to testing."

A few have reported the same with earlier generations of Athlons, too:

"when I was trying to run my Slot A T-Bird 700 on my Asus K7V (KX133), the chip would only overclock if I lowered the voltage to 1.55. Anything higher would lockup at POST."

App (Feb 11, 2001 06:50 a.m.):
This article is posted on the home page. Has anybody made the same experiences?? Thx

2/11/01 - New overclocking tactic: LOWER the voltage We're getting enough people reporting that they're actually doing better by lowering voltage that you might want to try it.

Here's just one example:

"I bought a Tbird 1100 3 days ago and was disappointed that it would only go 1236 and no higher with up to 1.88 volts. I never would have thought about trying voltage under default, until I read what others were finding. With Abit KT7-raid, Alpha PEP66 and a 26 cfm fan so far I'm getting 1320(110x12) at 1.68 volts, and my cpu temps average about 3 degrees cooler than 1236 at 1.78 volts. It will run 1200 at 1.58 volts! This just blows me away. Well, back to testing."

A few have reported the same with earlier generations of Athlons, too:

"when I was trying to run my Slot A T-Bird 700 on my Asus K7V (KX133), the chip would only overclock if I lowered the voltage to 1.55. Anything higher would lockup at POST."

I guess they will reply to homepage and tell Ed and Joe first. Also people who just pass by and aren't in the forum. But anyhow, how are you doing on YOUR Tbird. How is it OC'ed? Tried the lower voltage yet ?

App did explain in the other posts that the triple posting was due to his poor internet conn - accidents happen, I've done it myself. Don't jump on the guy for it :)

Thanks Rob....I hate double/triple posts by myself too...
OC Status: With my TB I'm on 1070 mhz. I ordered an MSI K7T, a watercooler set and Mushkin memory. By the end of February I hope I have all ordered components in house and will try to achieve 1250 mhz (will try higher of course) . With the current MSI K7T mobo I'm not able to change the multiplier, so I'm limited now. Try to do the L4, L6 pencil trick but it didn't work, reason to do some FSB tweaking only. 109 wasn't stable, so I'm stucked on 107 now. Will post my results after my 'OC operation' and for the moment I'm trying to gather all information available and I'm brainstorming about the lay out for the watercooler.

Back