• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

replacement hd...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

ok so im putting together my 1st system, and im lookin for a cheap hd. my 1st question is this: is it possible to change from 60 or 80 pin IDE (HD) -> 40 pin IDE (mobo)?

60pin? eh? 60pin connectors are SCSI II or something..

now there is 40 wire and 80 wire which is the cable difference between support fo ATA33 and ATA66/100/133 for drives.

maybe it was only 80 and 40... so many #s when it comes to hard drives :) my hd has 40pin IDE slots, but i cant seem to find any decent 40 pin IDE hds... any ideas?

koontz946 said:
maybe it was only 80 and 40... so many #s when it comes to hard drives :) my hd has 40pin IDE slots, but i cant seem to find any decent 40 pin IDE hds... any ideas?

The vast majority of hard disks which use the IDE interface are 40 pin. This includes WD, Maxtor, IBM, Seagate.....

80 strand cables are really just 40 pin. The extra 40 wires are there to inhibit electro-magnetic interference.

Western Digital drives are fast, as are Maxtor.

Back