• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What To Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowblade1

hello i was wondering what i should upgrade to play World of Warcraft(www.worldofwarcraft.com) so here are my specs

MOBO- VIA tech model 8363-686
CPU- AMD XP 1600+
GPU- Nvidia GeForce MX 400
Ram-
siemens 64mb pc100
siemens 128mb pc100
wintec 512mb pc133

do i need a new mobo? processor ok? i dont know what to get for gpu, 9600 pro/ti 4600 good?

thanks

Last edited:
hello i was wondering what i should upgrade to play World of Warcraft(www.worldofwarcraft.com) so here are my specs

MOBO- VIA tech model 8363-686
CPU- AMD XP 1600+
GPU- Nvidia GeForce MX 400
Ram-
siemens 64mb pc100
siemens 128mb pc100
wintec 512mb pc133

do i need a new mobo? processor ok? i dont know what to get for gpu, 9600 pro/ti 4600 good?

oh sry for double post ;/ i added some things

How much money do you have to spend for this upgrade?

I checked the World of Warcraft site and they don't have any specific requirements up on their site as of yet. But I'd say the game would be playable with your setup, although it would not be very nice looking. The game might be jerky periodically and you'll probably have to run it at the lowest resolution, etc.

Are you looking for a set up that will take advantage of all of WOW's extras? If so, you definitely need to upgrade.

If you are going to upgrade, I say go ahead, replace mobo, cpu, ram, and video card. That's pretty slow ram... Are you ocing at all?

Basically, you have to replace your computer if you plan on playing it quarterly decent...
All of the stuff you mentioned are outdated for any games today let alone a beautiful game like WOW.
If you need help, I can give you a list of recommendations since I have time this week. Click my name and there is contact information.

overclockers.com just released the article today suggesting S754 Semprons will be the next overclocking system. You may want to think about Sempron 3100+ with DFI NF3 250GB and GF6800(non-U) or GF6600GT (when AGP becomes available) and RAM (Ballistix?) if you can invest about 400-500 bux for decent system.

This is what I found from the blizzard site:

512MB RAM or better, DDR RAM recommended
-> 32MB-VRAM GPU or better - 64MB recommended
-> 933MHz G4 or G5 processor or better

I say upgrade your whole thing to A64 and get 9800pro, DDR ram of course, and you will be set.

If you want a cheaper upgrade.. I say just upgrade your video card to 9800pro.

well there a few different ways you could approach this.. but it all comes down to your budget and willing.. you could always unlock that xp1600 and overclock it. along with buying a cheap board, ram, and video card.. about 200 bucks ...
you could be running a system with 400 fsb or 333 fsb.. 512mb pc3200 and new video that is twice the memory and 128 bit.. if you unlock the xp1600 you could reach around 1.7-2.0ghz..

i would take that approach if money is tight..

if its even tighter just opt for a new video card... but dont be too cheap on this one..

here are some cheap A@@ items that could get you going in the right direction..

mobo chaintech http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-040&depa=1
ram http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-477&depa=1
video http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-126&depa=1

i just browsed through REAL quick and picked out some budget components..

of course dont forget that you can sell your old components and get some of that back , or use it to upgrade something else ..

if you want performance on a tight budget:
amd 2500+ (easily ocs to 2.2ghz with a lil extra voltage) w/ stock heatsink
arctic silver 5
512mb corsair pc3200 value ram
abit nf7 or nf7-s
9500 pro ati

From the system requirements
Windows® System/OS:

* 800 Mhz or higher CPU.
* 256 Megabytes or more of RAM.
* Geforce 2 Graphics Card or better.
* 3 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.
* DirectX® 9.0 or above.
It looks like you might be able to run WoW, but just barely and it wont look good or run very well.

Depending on your budget, I would recommend either a AMD Athlon XP system or a low end AMD Athlon 64 system (socket 754).

Questions for you:
Do you have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and harddrive to use already? (What harddrive is it?)
How much do you have to spend?
Are you willing to overclock you computer?

yes, i have a 17'' monitor,keyboard,mouse,and 8gb/40gb harddrives\

id like to have this upgrade just untill proly q1 next year, then im going to get a huge upgrade. so can i get a good performing system for under 200? i think i only need mobo/cpu/gpu/ram - i dunno if i am willing to overclock. thanks for any help if you have aim my sn is: Shadowblade4288

Last edited:
Back