• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] Is this a standard socket 775 cooler layout?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Hey all,

yes, i got an Dell XPS600, and i am interested in changing the stock cooler cause i want to make some room in the case. (not i am not going to buy a new case and mob and such, so dont suggest it)

Is this layout a standard 775 hole layout in the board? i looked and some boards and some seem to have the holes more squared off, but some mounting kits would seem to fit these holes... but i am not sure...

If anyone could confirm as to what, if any, after market coolers or adapters i could use would be appreciated.

The system has a Pentium 820D (3.2ghz dual core and 4mb L2 total)

I dont have PS on this comp so i couldnt resize the images:

1MB Image

http://fuzzy.phpwebhosting.com/~mathiau/mathiau/misc/xps600socket/IMG_0340.JPG

3.5MB image
http://fuzzy.phpwebhosting.com/~mathiau/mathiau/misc/xps600socket/IMG_0339.JPG

just compared the pics with one of my 775's ... the screws in the board look like they will not take any standard 775 mounting hardware. On mine they look like they are all about 1/4" ouside of the cpu socket on all sides whereas on yours they are lined up with the outside of the socket on 2 sides.

Also, that NB cooler looks like it would also interfere with most good hsf's. I guess dell want to make sure you buy everything from them :(

yeah seems like it, just smaller then 478.

Do you know of any cooler that have like a curved braket, thinking if i could us 2 of the holes to line up a possible cooler.

mmmmmmm, i really want to find a small, better cooler, so then i could considerin water cooling my x1900 XT.

i must find a way!

I just got a Dell 8300 with an 825X motherboard in a trade and the mounting for the heatsink looks more like 478 than 775. I'm kinda rushed this morning but I'll try to take a look. If not I give it a close look later and add to the post.

Its definately not a standard 775, the holes for 775 are at the corners of the socket, those are brought in close on the top and bottom (or left and right depending on how you look at it hehe)

Where there is a will, there is a way though :)

standard board layout, CPU at top, ram to the right of it, PCIe below

i am thinking maybe water cooling the cpu now, and looing at danger den's mounts, i "might" be lucky and be able to drill new mounting holes in the WB.

i just got to take some measurements and see how it would line up.

it shall be done!! :D The mod bug kicked my arse last night, so now iam craving doing something to this beast.

I just finnished looking at the Dell MB in the 8300. It looks the same as the one in the picture. The mounting holes are too close together for either 775 or 478. You can try a block with a universal top and drill the correct holes.

i bought the dell some months back :) and for the price of $700 (x700 PRO / raptor 74g , Pentium D 840, Audigy ZS, the case / dvd burner / seperate cd burner / 2g DDR2 667) for $700 i couldnt go wrong, so i bought it, but now, i need something to fill my time with, so why not conquer something very VERY few people do ? Will make it more interesting as opposed to just going to a site, saying "buy" get it, install, done, cause now i need to be more creative.

And thank you, i love my Canon 20D! pics were taken at night, so tripod and low iso, 25 seconf ap time :)

that is what i was thinking as well Fhanderson - this will be done, OH yes, it will

Back