• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

People looking at cheap 1156 boards!!!!! Click the link!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah man, someone at XS blew out the MOSFETs on their Gigabyte mATX UD2 board. He claims at the time it was running 'stock' and had at most been up to ~1.36Vcore so nothing extreme. Evilsizer said his UD2 died although he didn't say he knows why.

I'm quite disappointed. The Gigabyte UD2 is *perfect* for me in features and especially slot layout - 2 open slots next to the graphics slots allows for a nice low noise cooler while leaving the other PCIe slot available. Anandtech's review was glowing. But now I'm not so sure, are these just the occasionaly 'bad boards' or what? The THG article makes it seem like more than that :( although they did go rather high on the voltages.

The only good mATX semi-budget option then seems to be the Gigabyte UD4 but it's $40 more than the UD2 :-/ The MSI is only 4 phase too. It looks like you've got to go up to ~$140+ to get a board with a better power section. Where's our EP45-UD3P-like board in P55? (I guess that one was only really cheaper bc of rebate but still.)

I personally don't have any newer Intel products, but had been considering the 1156 i7 as a DC rig for the farm. After seeing this I think I will wait a little while for them to get the bugs out.

I do agree with the conclusion, but the fact is if a company wants to sell a budget board then they need not say don't push it, they just need to limit the boards.

well im on the same track as brolloks about the UD2. i was tring to prime stable the i7 [email protected] with 1.3v or 1.325v. not sure of the exact voltage now since i didnt ss it. though i know im using the same bios setting for cpu v on the P55M-UD4 as on the P55M-UD2. it must have been a VRM phase since all the same parts are being used on the P55M-UD4 with no issues.

i will say that out of my slight oc testing, my fav budget LGA1156 board is the AsRock P55M-Pro. it atleast didnt die with [email protected] on the i7 860. IMO for stock speeds only any of the $100 ish mATX boards will be fine. hell intels mATX P55 is 3+1 phase. i know we are talking about ocing and not stock, im not even sure if the i5 750 going into the Asrock will get oced. im thinking of even disabling two cores and tring to lower cpu v more. though i really want it to run rosie as well when its not in use. though i do have to point out the P55M-pro had 3 or 4 bios updates since its release or well before its release in the US. the P55M-UD2 has no bios updates,nor does the P55M-UD4.

MM,
just wait my new P55M-UD2 is OTW, shall put the 860 on it agian. hoping for the best this time!

I believe OCers should always avoid the boards with entry level PWM sections :)

That's not the noly problem P55 boards have been having...have you guys seen this yet?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234723

I have been following that thread over at XS for days, and in fact, just finished reading what I believe was your recent post.

I came over here and the first thread I start reading is this one and by the time I get thru the first couple of posts my mind wanders back to the socket burn thread, so I started to post a link and find that you beat me to it by a few minutes.

What is it that they say about great minds??? :D

So, who's fault is it? Intel's for designing a CPU that changes voltages on the fly thus causing stress on the motherboard? Or is it the manufacturers not putting in more research time and QC time to make sure every board can meet Intel's design requirements?

Guy's keep this info coming as I would like to see the potentially bad boards identified so myself or others don't cook anything.

So, who's fault is it? Intel's for designing a CPU that changes voltages on the fly thus causing stress on the motherboard? Or is it the manufacturers not putting in more research time and QC time to make sure every board can meet Intel's design requirements?

I blame the manufactures for allowing a weak board (not tested to full extent) to have settings that can kill it and the cpu. When I worked with PCB's everything went across a tester or some type of HI-POT and was stressed. IDK what the problem is with the manufactures these days.

well from the op's link it does sound like the OCP isnt working. on the other hand it could be something wrong with the PWM design or socket. there are a bunch of IF's right now.

That's not the noly problem P55 boards have been having...have you guys seen this yet?

ok, so i looked at the first post right now. i know for a fact, the socket on the P55M-UD2 was not burned. i even looked at the bottom of the cpu, no burn marks either. im still with brolloks about what killed my P55M-UD2.

I have been running my MIIIF/860 for a week now, 100% stable at 4.0GHz (20x200)
Asus has confirmed IMC volts will have to be pushed hard for high clock stability...

Lovely XS threads, always good for laughs like this post #19:

My Vcore was not even that high. 1.57V maximum.

uh-huh.

*Actually based on that thread it's not only the 'cheap boards' that have problems. Sure, blown MOSFETs is one way a power problem manifests itself but so is melted sockets, CPU pads and socket pins. I think they're all part of the same problem just with different failure points.

btw Evil there is an F4 (beta I think) BIOS for the UD2, Anandtech tested with that one. In the THG article that talks about P55 VRM sections blowing one manufacturer says that overcurrent protection can be implemented in BIOS. I wonder how much of this has to do with the wackiness of Turboboost and shifting clockspeeds combined with overclocking.

Last edited:
btw Evil there is an F4 (beta I think) BIOS for the UD2, Anandtech tested with that one. In the THG article that talks about P55 VRM sections blowing one manufacturer says that overcurrent protection can be implemented in BIOS. I wonder how much of this has to do with the wackiness of Turboboost and shifting clockspeeds combined with overclocking.

right i saw the beta's but im more for retail bios's these days... if it were abit i would have no issues using a beta bios... sorry these guys just havent earned my trust yet when it comes to beta's. :screwy:

i did read both of those and they pointed out AsRock P55M-pro. i did update my bios on that board since it was retail and i was having ocing issues. the bios did clear alot of the ocing up but i think the bios may need a bit more work. the board looks to be just a solidly built as the GB boards but no 2 or 3oz of copper used, solid PCB.

Ya I just thought that it might reduce the chances of MOSFET death given that THG says a different manufacturer's updated BIOS was supposed to help in that area. I'm not in to beta BIOSes either but when compared to dead boards...plus it's not as if you're short on PCs!

In the THG article that talks about P55 VRM sections blowing one manufacturer says that overcurrent protection can be implemented in BIOS. I wonder how much of this has to do with the wackiness of Turboboost and shifting clockspeeds combined with overclocking.

This is the reason right here.

I know with my Asus board, they have said on XS that they will not release a official bios that locks the 21x multi fully on the 920 because they have to disable the overcurrent protection for the PWM. They did release a bios for my P6T6, but said to try at your own risk and warranty will be voided if used. Not sure if that is used and fails or just using it period. I've got it downloaded, but see no reason I could need use of it currently as I've got 20x200 down.

Everyone thought they were smarter than Intel in being able to get an extra multiplier out of the new chips. Looks like Intel was smarter than everyone thinks. You know what they say about playing with fire long enough.

Guys...on extreme cooling we've been pushing i7 to 1.7V+ for almost a year...1.57V really isn't that much under proper cooling ;)

Guys...on extreme cooling we've been pushing i7 to 1.7V+ for almost a year...1.57V really isn't that much under proper cooling ;)

but but not on 4 phase based boards you havent. :) lol
next thing i know you go try it,hahaha :screwy:
you check your pm box?

I've never gone below 1.5v on my P55-UD6. And that's on air too, it's been going strong for over a month now...knock on wood.

Back