• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800gt on a 250W PSU!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
welp..iv randomly decided this morning i want an 8800gt after i bought my 24" monitor the other day...hehe iv got a shuttle with a 250W psu, i used to run a 7900gt NP with or without the pci-e connector (i do have one) ~ so ill be going out within the next hour to see if i can make some magic happen :santa:

What do you guys mean?? This should work. As long as he doesn't plan on bringing power to the CPU, RAM, MOBO, or drives, I don't see any reason why a 250W PSU couldn't power an 8800GT.:D

i think he might mean that the 250watt psu would just power the gpu alone. ...i hope he means that :/

haha NOPE
250w for e6600 + 2gb ram + 2x400gb hd + dvd-rw and the 8800GT ^^

and lookie lookie, im up and running muahahah
for anyone that doesnt know, shuttle psu's are VERY under-rated or VERY efficient..they can do amazing things
btw my psu doesnt even have the 6 pin built in..im using a splitter for a 4 pin, and then a 6 pin to 2x 4 pin
thats how my 7900gt ran perfectly stable for months

dscf4438rx8.jpg

Game it. I want to see how long it lasts ;)

Better yet, when you game it, take a temp reading on the air leaving the PSU, that has me more curious than anything hahaha

Just installed drivers, still alive lol
about to run 3dmark03 (just for you JoT ;))
followed by 06 :D

guessing cpu will use 105W, another 100-200 for the gfx card, not counting in the 2 hdd's and stuff,

I want to see 8800gt fireworks.

but seriously dude, you have the money to buy a 24" monitor and a 8800gt, why not spend a little on the psu too?

stock03zs3.jpg

:D ~ why should i buy a better psu ~ this one is plenty powerfull :D
not to mention ya..its a shuttle lol, i dont want a full size rig
btw this is on a clogged install of vista..ill be doing a fresh one later today too, so i'd imagine that'd boost the points a little

NEXT UP ~ 06

It should run it without much hassle.

I mean what type of power consumption did the 7900 take? The 8800GT isn't that much of a power sucker at what 110W maybe? The E6600 if the board supports it won't be taking much power either at maybe 70-75W maybe less if he can under volt it.

HDD's sure it takes some, motherboard for those PC's are ment to run lean in the power department as well.

Totally possible. If not mistaken I've seen someone run a 8800GTX as well as a 2900XT in shuttle case with not that large of a PSU as well.

Nice going D94

Back