• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap way for not going 8 gigs...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

Maybe, for those who are not running ssd... A way not to need too much ram is to use a ReadyBoost drive isn't it? What's scare us about having small ram? The page file isn't it? Becouse the HD is slow compared to the ram isn't it? Becouse of the latency, isn't it? So it seems interesting microsoft aproach to ready boost drives for everybody who uses mechanical HD's. The low latency of the flash memory instead of it speed is what makes the approach interesting... SO, instead of going big, sometimes this little artifact may help those on the budget...
:beer:

For those interested, you have to buy a memory that has some requirements of speed and must be "friendly" to microsoft (some speedy pen drives doesn't work...)

I think this was already discussed.

The result was the USB drivers not being loaded before the pagefile, therefore it still made some space on the hard drive anyways.

Unless of course, ReadyBoost figures out a way to bypass that (the site's blocked here at work).

Strange the drivers not being loaded before... The first thing that works when my windows boot is the usb mouse! I think before it is able to really create much page file, as it will increase as we start to open apps... Anyway, it will always have pagefile files splited... small ones in the flash memory (low latency access with lower transfer rates) and big files on the hd... it's a dinamic process... Even tough I think it's a nice feature for the future, as memory hardware improve, that may be a more viable solution that it's right now... As some manufacturers are interested in developing this specific hardware solutions for something that was designed to first use something that wasn't perfectly designed to that (flash mem)...

Thanks for the good links...

You can't put your pagefile on a USB drive, but you can still use ReadyBoost. ReadyBoost will not speed up your PC as fast as more RAM, but if you have a spare drive, it helps.

RAM is cheap these days, so this shouldn't be an issue.

BTW, ReadyBoost and a pagefile are two completely separate things.

BTW said:
Yep.... :) (started to understand that better)

Perhaps the "someday it'll be more usefull" will never come, when the ssd price start to decrease... I personally have ordered an OCZ ssd... And when Crucial / Intel ssd with 0,1ms access and 250 mb's transfers start to hit the market, pagefile will be less heavy than it used to be... but, as you said, with the current prices, ram size is not an issue anymore... Everyone can mount 8gb of common ram... So that's not an issue... but 8gb of 1600+ DDR3 is still a litle bit... "costly"

Back