• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.6a half upgrade question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbird

I'm trying to find out what is the most up to date motherboard ram combination that would run my old 1.6a. It's been running on an Abit Th7II @ 2.4Ghz for about a year and half now. I only have enough money for the mb and ram right now and plan to purchase a new cpu this summer. I'm hoping something like the Abit IC7 will support this cpu. Abits test report only shows the 2.0a Northwood.

Thanks

Kbird said:
I'm trying to find out what is the most up to date motherboard ram combination that would run my old 1.6a. It's been running on an Abit Th7II @ 2.4Ghz for about a year and half now. I only have enough money for the mb and ram right now and plan to purchase a new cpu this summer. I'm hoping something like the Abit IC7 will support this cpu. Abits test report only shows the 2.0a Northwood.

Thanks

the 1.6a should work great in the IC7 and batboy already tested a 400mhz chip in it to see if it will run.
infact if I'm not mistaken, his chip OCed higher in the IC7.
*mica calling batboy-any other info to share?*

I think the IC7 is a great choice to get right now.

it will be fine with your old 1.6a and be great with the newer chips that are out now.

just don't skimp on the memory....get the best you can so you wont need to buy better mem later.
say the best pc3500 or pc3700 you can find.

I love my new IC7, with a 2.4b 533 chip....
and to save some money, I'll be going RAID0 with two WD 80gb 8mb drives using the sata2 adaptors...in a few days.

mica

Yeah, I tested a 2.0A on my IC7 and it got a significantly higher overclock on the IC7 than on my old TH7-II.

Well, with the RAM I'd recommend you getting the best you can afford, so that when you upgrade the CPU later, you won't have to buy new RAM. I'd recommend that you do a little research before you decide. You probably can't go wrong getting PC3500 TwinMOS, Mushkin black label, Corsair XMS, Kingston hyperX, or OCZ. I'm sure there are other good brands I didn't include too.

Thanks Batboy I was just doing the research and notice your sig. The OCZ dual channel PC3500 EL DDR looks great and I will look around at some of the reviews of different ram modules.

Thanks

I have DDR266 RAM made by Hyunday. I just want to say that it is able to run DDR333 at 2.5V. So if you want a good ram with overclocking potencial, you could try Hyunday ram. And dont blame me for my recomendation. Hyunday ram really rockss!!!

If you decide to go with OCZ, don't waste your money on buying the special dual channel RAM. You can get just as good of RAM by purchasing two individual sticks of OCZ PC3500 EL (EL=Enhanced Latency).

If you decide to step up to PC3700, TwinMOS and OCZ are doing pretty good, plus some of the peeps seem to be having fairly good luck with Buffalo. Looks like the Buffalo is overclocking quite well if you use relaxed timings and give it some extra voltage.

kbird,

try looking at this.

if I had to buy memory today I would try this first.

both azn and jd from this forum had great results with it.
read the posts with there name in it.

this mem is realy great and because it is almost an unknown name...the price is real low.

mica

Back