• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which produces more heat???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

I know you can lower the multi so:

355x9 = 3.2

400x8 = 3.2

457x7 = 3.2

533x6 = 3.2

(edit: we will presume they are all on say 1.4v)

Do they all produce the same amout of heat even though they are all clocked at 3.2? My guess is the 355x9 produces the least amout of heat.... but its just a guess.

Last edited:
They should be about the same if they are the same voltage, but if i had to say anything the 533x6 would be the lowest if you can even set that in the bios. Since that puts the least stress on the cpu. and more on the motherboard. ( i could be totally wrong) but if they are all stable i suggest doing the 355x9 because that puts less stress on motherboard and ram.

I would "presume" that the 9x multi would emit the least amout of heat, because the FSB is so much lower, and this would put less stress on the CPU??

Unless I'm missing something, changing the multiplier doesn't affect the heat output of the cpu- only the voltage will do that. The multiplier won't change the amount of voltage, or the amount of resistance against voltage within the cpu itself. The fsb on the other hand brings the northbridge and memory in to play. Those higher fsb's will require more voltage thus raising overall system temperatures.

Yes, the CPU heat output would remain the same.

The Northbirdge, however, would get hotter at higher FSB speeds.

JCLW is right.....as well though C2D's thermal wattage doesnt change all that much when appling more volts. the thermal wattage is more effected by the cpu speed.

They should all be the same. Since the clock speed nor vcore is increasing there shouldn't be an increase in heat to the processor.

JCLW said:
Yes, the CPU heat output would remain the same.

The Northbirdge, however, would get hotter at higher FSB speeds.

exactly, but it should be worth it

D

hi'
should be the one with a 9 mutiplier, as some said think about the NB ... at 533fsb ... 799mhz, a bit :eek: about heat ..
did you test them all?
coz I can tell you already that x 8 is hotter than x 9 ;)
not much 2°c ... but cooler with 9x356 than 8x400 ;)

i686

imposter said:
why not just go 533x9 :santa: if you have the cooling it should be stable Hahahah.
let me sprinkly my crack dust on my e4300 and see if it works.........

yep sure is high! :eek:
:)

It's just conditional on the actual clock speed and the Vcore. Higher bus speed will mean the northbridge will kick out more power..

Back