• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just started GPU folding!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davekusa

Ok, got the card plugged in and I'm off.

Anyone got tips or tweaks?
Anyone try the catalist 6.11 drivers?
What are 3D clocks ?

I tried installing 2nd(slower) video card for Windoz but the system wouldn't boot. I've got 2 PCI-X 16 slots.
Will play with it tomarrow.

8:03 a frame, looks about right for stock settings.

:welcome: to the gpu folding!

not sure about 6.11, but I'm running offical 6.10 with no problem.

the x1000s cards will run at slower clock speed (2D speed) at desktop/non 3D apps. people use 3rd party software, ATITool/ATI Tray Tool, to force the card to run at full 3D speed even at desktop.

8mins sounds about right at 2D speed. what kinda card are you running again?

What card? Just installed Catalyst 6.11 with my Sapphire X1950Pro and frame times are 7min 53 sec. No hoops to jump through this time like I had to with Catalyst 6.10 in order to get the X1950Pro running. Use ATITool or the like to get 3D clocks going. Your folding will thank you for it. :)

davekusa said:
x1900xtx

got ati tool.
what settings for 3d clocks?
IIRC, 3D speed for the x1900xtx is 650core/775memory, core v. @ 1.425v

with a small o/c and even some luck, you should be able to hit 800ppd. ;)

btw, I'm using ATI Tray Tool. :cool:

davekusa said:
10% overclock looks about 7:30/ frame

You should be able to get 6min 13sec per frame by simply launching ATITool and clicking on the 3D View button. Once you have enjoyed the nice fuzzy die and let it do the FPS calculation then close 3D View. 3D clocks will be set to go at the 6min 13sec range, you can then fiddle with your overclock if you so desire.

PS - you can check on some overclocking numbers and results at gpu.fahinfo.org

Last edited:
davekusa said:
How long am i supposed to stare at fuzzy dice? will it say complete? What is the purpose of starring at fuzzy dice?

Not long, 20-30 sec tops. It just kicks the 3D clocks in. Yes it should stay in 3D since you essentially started a 3D app. If you have to restart Windows, then you should go through the same routine to kick 3D clocks in again.

also run a 3dmark05 (or 06) to test oc stability on the card.

my xtx does 702/801 stable at 1.375 v - it does 5:46 frames times at that speed. It has a zalman cooler on it.

I tried the second minimal pci video card thing also for windoze to use ... my minimal card was also an ati card and i found atitool would not start with a card like that in the system although i was able to boot and gpu fold at 2D. Maybe if you have an nvidia one it would work (i have an nvidia pci card in another folding rig but haven't gotten around to trying it). Maybe one of the other oc'ing tools might allow this too ... i just haven't played with it much more :shrug:

3d mark 05: 9900

630/775 1.3v

6:20 a frame = 770PPD approximately
MAXED THE FAN OUT AT 100%, SORRY FOR YELLING BUT I CAN BARELY HEAR MY SELF OVER THIS 747 FAN

3d mark 05 :10000
650/815 1.375V
6:10 a frame =780ppd

Time to build a waterchiller.

Last edited:
the 3dmarks scores are'nt too indicative of gpu folding speed from rig to rig since the score is affected by cpu and memory timings, while they have little impact on gpu folding performance.

But completing the bench with a score is a good indication folding will be stable in my experience. When i first started i just used the fuzzy box in atitool ... i am not so sure it is as good a test as 3dmark ... i tend to use it as a quick initial test much like superpi for cpu's since 3dmark takes a while to run.

My AIW's arent bad at 100% fan ... the zalman is excellent ... i got it already installed on the used xtx i bought. But if you are running yours in a case you really do need the heat to exhaust the case which the zalman and AIW's don't ... doesn't matter to me since mine are caseless. But i did have to arrange fans over the mobo's to keep the heat from the backside of the cards away from the cpu and NB.

You seem to be getting good results with pretty low V :)

Last edited:
davekusa said:
MAXED THE FAN OUT AT 100%, SORRY FOR YELLING BUT I CAN BARELY HEAR MY SELF OVER THIS 747 FAN

Grab an Arctic Cooling Accelero X2 from SVC for $15. 100% fan is quieter than the stock fan at idle. Dropped my temps 20C on my 1950 Pro.

Now if my GPU folding didn't take up 100% of one of my cores and slow my system to a crawl, I'd be all over it. Until then 2 instances of regular folding for me.

davekusa said:
3d mark 05: 9900

630/775 1.3v

6:20 a frame = 770PPD approximately

3d mark 05 :10000
650/815 1.375V
6:10 a frame =780ppd

Time to build a waterchiller.
from my experience, gpu speed might yield higher ppd than memory speed. :cool:

davekusa said:
Looks that way. This thing really has a wall. This thing rocks and rolls up to a point and after that its a no go. 650 Good. 652 artifact. 654 lock up. I'm happy with the 770 for right now.
you need to up the gpu voltage. IIRC, stock 3D clock core v. @ 1.425v.

the gpu faq suggests 1.4V is reguired at 3d .. but like all OC'ing YMMV with each card.

I stopped tweaking at 700/800 based on a comment from JC that most xtx's would do it. I was running 1.4V but found same speed was stable when i dropped it to 1.375.

I didn't try to push the memory any more than was easy on any my cards ... since mem speed is less important than gpu clocks according to stanford folks (mike houston).

My AIW's are all 675/612 at 1.375 and get around 8:15. Their slow memory is noticable ... lower spec'ed than the others i guess and the aiw only has 3 phase power :shrug: But not a lot different than a sapphire xt 256lite that runs 702/702 and get 8:04 frames. I supect memory latencies have a lot more to do with this. ChasR commented the same that his xt1950 at much higher mem speed is similar frame times to xtx's.

Last edited:
davekusa said:
So how much voltage can I throw at this thing and be safe?

How hot can I get this thing before I should start to worry?

I would guess 1.4 -1.425 should be safe ... temps <= 90C seems to be the number mhouston suggests before instability is likely to arise. Mine are all running 1.375 now although i ran a few at 1.4 initially to make sure i wasn't eue'ing due to it being too low. The madshrimps OC guide author suggests starting at 1.45 :eek:
I found my AIW's don't oc so well if i go too high.

I try to keep mine 70's-low 80's C.

The pwr temps can run higher safely according to my reading.

For both V and temps, lower is better of course just like cpu's and mobos, especailly over the long 724 folding haul.

Watercooling is in my thinking ... especially before summer temps return. Right now my rig room with a nice exhaust fan (box fan) hung from the ceiling is making a nice steady electric furnace for the house.

Last edited:
disclaimer: this information is from the BENCHING side of these cards, NOT FOLDing

you can run these X1900 cards @ MAX V-GPU on the stock cooler (fan @ 100%) although i wouldnt suggest it for long term (FOLDing) use.

going into the mid to upper 1.4's shouldnt be a problem but keep an eye on the temps!!!

IMO i would keep the core under 70C but id bet 75C wouldnt be a problem, these cores can take a lot of heat.

there is a setting in ATT (ATiTool) that forces the card to run @ 3D speed when ATT is running.
there is also a setting to load OCed speeds and fan settings when ATT is running.
also a setting to start ATT every time the PC starts

Back