• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats more quiet. 2-3 reg fans or 5 'quiet' ones?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tonto

Registered
Building a new system and wondering how fan noise adds up.

Found a good deal on some Vantec Stealth fans so was wondering if getting five of these (replace the generic ones) would be quieter than two (standard) or three (if needed) regular ones.

Total airflow numbers work out pretty close but thinking that the more spread out five fans would be better at cooling and noise doesn't 'add' up like numbers so might be more quiet.

I'll wait until I get the system up and see how the temps are, but just toying with the idea now.

Thanks
T.

Welcome to the forums.

Do a search and you'll get some good information. There have been several posts about cumulative fan noise. Consider this. Larger fans(120mm or 92mm) almost always are somewhat quieter than smaller fans like 80mm. You want to try to strike a good balance between airflow and noise.

I discovered that with my case running 2x92mm & 3x80mm Stealth fans is definitely quieter than running 3x80mm regular fans. Also, even when I added 2x92mm regular fans I don't seen any improved cooling over the lower cfm airflow of the Stealth fans due to negative case pressure. YMMV, HTH...
Tomac

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a try as my old PC is a real whiner and for the games I play quiet is much better.

T.

bacuse of the way Dbs are added up it is quiter to have more quiter fans in most cases... when you have like 3 30Db fans it ends up being just over 30Db like 33Db or something (not an exact number or anything but it dosnt double or anything):D

I thought I read a rule of thumb that said if you have a fan of 30 dB's then each additional fan is plus 3 dB's... but this isn't like doing the math, and it ISN'T truly accurate either, but it gives you a very rough idea of how much louder it is.

Hehe, close but no cigar.

The Lone Ranger.

Silver was the horse (Hi Yo Silver, away!)
Tonto was his Indian companion (the rangers.. not the horse).

lmao!!!

tonto was the name of whats his name's sidekick- i forget but he siad "HiHo silver! away" and he was a cowboy... tonto was indian... i wonder if its any conicidence that tonto means stupid in spanish (or is it tanto?) i mean the show is kinda old... maybe they were making hte indian guy look stupid:( :rolleyes:

OH! i remember its the Lone Ranger's side kick- hey isnt that odd hes the Lone ranger with a sidekick.. wtf?

Off-topic Quiz (Chance to Win Cash!)

Off-topic (givin' away my age here):
What was the name of Tonto's horse?
Where did the Lone Ranger get the material to make his mask?
Why is he called The Lone Ranger?

And for 50 Bonus Points (I will send $5 to the first person who can answer this correctly): Remember the TV series "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."? U.N.C.L.E.'s nemesis organization was called T.H.R.U.S.H., what does the THRUSH acronym mean?

Tomac

man i used to love that show! my dad (werido acutaly) recorder like almost all the episodes... but i dont know the aswer to any of those:rolleyes: ill guess though

1 damn iti cant think no guess
2 from an indian chief- tonto's tribe (i know he was offerd a marriage right?)?
3 because he lost his first partner- no he um... i dont knwo

lolz so much for gussing:rolleyes:

Nice try but no cigar (or peace pipe or wampum or whatever).
Next victim, er, I mean "contestent"?
Tomac
PS- I will give the answers myself if no one can provide them within a reasonable amount of time...

can you PM me them? dot worry i wont give them to any one:D im actually curiouse i loved that show... and the old school batman in grey tights you know? i used to have that batcar but it was hotwheels! it was so cool...

Silver was the horses name.

No idea about the others though.

Curious about the T.H.R.U.S.H. thing so did a search and hit this....so who needs UNCLE (did find the real answer too but I cheated)

http://www.thrushcream.com/ :eek:

T.

This is a post I made earlier in a similar thread, hope it clears it up for you..

This will have a mathematical approach ..

dB works on a logarythmic scale, so this means that for instance

0 dB = 10^0
10 dB = 10^1
20 dB = 10^2
50 dB = 10^5

so as you can see, 20 dB is 10^2=10*10=100 , so 20 dB is 100 times more intense than 0 dB which is 10^0=1 and 10 times more intense than 10 dB, 10^1=10

So in this case if the first one is 25 dB , 10^2.5 and the other one is 10^2.8

10^2.5 = 316
10^2.8 = 630

630/316 = ~2

So as you can see, it is 2 times more intense.

Now, if you apply this to a case where you want to know how noise adds up.

For instance, if it'd be three fans, 25 dB each it would be

10^2.5 * 3 = 10^x

x = 2.97 => 29.7 dB

Back