• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox360: Gears of War - BIG PROBLEM W/PROFILE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
First I need to tell you all that I am really AGITATED!!

I got the 360 premium on Mon morning for xmas, and someone else got me Madden 2k7... I set it up to my 32" HDTV and played it for about 15min before my fam and I had to go to my uncle's... got home late and went straight to bed. Tues night after work I hooked the 360 to the router and set up my xbox live profile, which also offered me 1 month free Gold. I had my brother pick up Gears of War on his way home from the gym. I didn't go to the gym b/c I knew he'd be home soon (he's usually outa the gym a lil after i get home from work)... by the time i tried downloading the Gears of War gameplay demo, he arrived home with the game.

I set up the game and played about 3 hours, then called it a night. My brother that picked up the game for me was off on Wed (yesterday), so he played for a while in the morning and I met him home for lunch break... I played about 10min, then had to get back to work. He has no xbox live accnt set up yet, but he created his own profile.

Now, when i got outa work yesterday I went home and kicked my OTHER bro off the game (yes, nicely :) )... so we now have 3 total profiles b/c he created a profile as well (no xbox live set up). I went to my profile, and went to continue campaign, etc... and then chose the level of difficulty (been playing the easiest since i'm new to xbox)... it would say "Loading" for a couple sec and then go back to the screen to choose difficulty level... this problem of loading a couple sec and going back to diff level does NOT go away...

This is where I'm stuck... I rebooted the machine, I tried the other level of difficulty, and NO GO!!! I went to load a specific level, and even that does the same thing. I was SO AGITATED that I said screw it and decided to attempt to start a NEW CAMPAIGN with my profile. STILL NO GO!!! It does the same thing every time!!! Eventually, I forget what I tried but the xbox froze.

My room is NOT hot... it's avg temp. Also, the xbox is near NO OTHER elec devices, AND i even put a little fan blowing in front of the machine. The machine stands upright, too.

The funny thing? BOTH of my brother's profiles have NO ISSUES, and they can still play their save games.

ANY THOUGHTS? Do I have to delete my profile and lose the free month of Gold, and just start a new profile?

This is all BS cuz the freakin' thing is brand new... NOTHING scratched, and I always take care of my stuff.

Thank in advance...

I had one of my fellow clan members go through something simillar but with different game.

He dl'd some new maps for GRAW and after few days they stoped working for no reason. He went to his second profile and they worked fine.

I think it has to do something with XBL update.

RedDragonXXX said:
I had one of my fellow clan members go through something simillar but with different game.

He dl'd some new maps for GRAW and after few days they stoped working for no reason. He went to his second profile and they worked fine.

I think it has to do something with XBL update.
How do I fix it? I'll take the loss and start that wasted 3+ hrs all over again, but I don't think I should have to cancel my profile... it's not letting me start a new campaign. :(

I think you may have to just delete that saved game information and start from scratch.

In the Dashboard:
Go to:
System >Memory> Your HD> Games > Gears of War > Select Gears of War Checkpoint> Choose Delete

Try that and see if it works.

Last edited:
RedDragonXXX said:
If that doesn't work just make a def profile to play this game on and keep the old one.
but my profile has xbox live gold on it... don't i need to unlock the levels to play multiplayer? sry, i'm a 360 noob...

but man do i LOVE the system.... it's just so weird for me to aim with a joystick b/c i've been playing FPS and aiming with a mouse for over 4 yrs now... this is my first time trying to get used to a joystick for real.

The game does not save to an online server. The game saves locally on your xbox memory/HD. If tthe local copy is corrupted, then it needs to be removed so a new one can be written.

Try the steps posted above to see if that works. You will have to start the game over completely, but it should work.

If not, call M$.

Also, doesn't the xbox live account get attached to the machine? Is the online capability portable from machine to machine? Is your brothers account playable online? If so, that means the xbox live attaches to the machine, not just the profile.

same thing happened to me after an XBL updated for Halo 2 yesterday, WTF is going on?

updawg said:
same thing happened to me after an XBL updated for Halo 2 yesterday, WTF is going on?
this is not good. :( and i just freakin' got this thing! i guess i'll disconnect the internet port until i finish the game? GAY! :(

Vampiregabe said:
The game does not save to an online server. The game saves locally on your xbox memory/HD. If tthe local copy is corrupted, then it needs to be removed so a new one can be written.

Try the steps posted above to see if that works. You will have to start the game over completely, but it should work.

If not, call M$.

Also, doesn't the xbox live account get attached to the machine? Is the online capability portable from machine to machine? Is your brothers account playable online? If so, that means the xbox live attaches to the machine, not just the profile.
i will try the steps you mentioned if i have time tonight (man i wanna play! lol)... both of my brothers are not set up online... don't they have to pay for live Gold on each account in order to do that anyway?

g0dM@n said:
both of my brothers are not set up online... don't they have to pay for live Gold on each account in order to do that anyway?

I was not sure how the live accounts attach to a machine. If only your account is able to play online, then obviously you do not want to delete that account.

You could call M$ and see if they could transfer the Live ability to another account. But try the steps first to see if it works, if not then definitely give M$ a call.

Vampiregabe said:
I was not sure how the live accounts attach to a machine. If only your account is able to play online, then obviously you do not want to delete that account.

You could call M$ and see if they could transfer the Live ability to another account. But try the steps first to see if it works, if not then definitely give M$ a call.
the only time i can make calls is after i get home from gym between 7-8pm... i'd be lucky to get through with any company then. :(

i'll probably do what i always do...say F it and just delete the save games like u told me and try again HOPING this crap doesn't happen again!

Wow, same exact thing happened to my friend and his Gears of War. I haven't played my xbox in awhile, but I wonder if mine would do the same thing :(

g0dM@n said:
the only time i can make calls is after i get home from gym between 7-8pm... i'd be lucky to get through with any company then. :(

i'll probably do what i always do...say F it and just delete the save games like u told me and try again HOPING this crap doesn't happen again!

Deleting the save games won't work, you need to make a new profile. Atleast we had to do that for my friend.

aliensRreal said:
Deleting the save games won't work, you need to make a new profile. Atleast we had to do that for my friend.
that's SUCH CRAP!!! I want to use that profile... won't I lose xbox live by creating a new one? AHHHHH!!!

Maviryk said:
I'm pretty sure there's an option to recover a profile via Xbox live....

linky http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=xbox+live+recover+profile
ohhh... so i guess i can delete it and then recover it after? i've a feeling it won't work.

how about the jerks at M$ do another update to fix this BS?! :mad:

*EDIT*
so i guess i'll first try this option:
"There is already a profile for this gamertag on your console. Would you like to replace it?"
and if that doesn't work, i'll completely delete it (if that's possible), and just recover as if it never existed.

this... just... SUCKS... i have to start the game all over, and i'm not a person that likes to watch the same movie twice if you know what i mean... maybe a couple yrs later, but you get my drift.

Wow, that really sucks man.

I hope you can fix the problem without losing your account...:(

Good luck to you, it will work eventually:)

Maviryk said:
Why don't you save the gamesave file to a usb drive, overwrite your profile, and then load it back in?
what?! i can use a flash drive on the xbox as a gamesave card??? if that's the case, i'll try that... just have NO clue how to do that...

remember...
<-- XBOX 360 NOOB

Calm down people try disconnecting your ethernet cord and playing the game. Some said xbox live was down and got messed up b/c something in asia(earthquake?? idk)

Back