• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Sparkle 400W good enough for ASUS M5A88-V + FX-4100 + G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so you're saying that the six core will provide no noticeable difference compared to the quad core?

Video encoding/rendering, photoshop, and other content creation apps that deal with movies and images will use all the cores you can throw at them. If you're just using multiple programs simultaneously or editing relatively small (less then 1GB) images in Paint.NET, I don't think you'll use all six cores.

Video encoding/rendering, photoshop, and other content creation apps that deal with movies and images will use all the cores you can throw at them. If you're just using multiple programs simultaneously or editing relatively small (less then 1GB) images in Paint.NET, I don't think you'll use all six cores.

there is one paint.net file ... 1.98MB about 50 layers.. takes about 30 seconds to fully load...

it's 85% loading..95% maximum ..falls off to 50%...then back to normal

why is this normal?

I'm just trying to figure out if the process is single threaded or multi-threaded, or maybe bottlenecked by something else. Sounds like it's multi-threaded. So it might benefit from more cores, but I still don't think it would be a huge difference.

i might get the 960t it's faster clock....but if extra core can be unlocked it'd be great...

Antec's new stuff is good.
Whether that PSU is enough or more than enough depends on what GPU(s) you have.
Any single GPU and that CPU will be perfectly happy on that unit.

My experience has been that a 4 core is more than fast enough for general computing, running multiple things at once, just so long as you're running Windows 7 or a Linux distro. XP just sucks when it comes to multithreading.

I love my 6 core though.... I've one of those widgets showing me all 6 cores..... I just like seeing them. In reality though the only time they get used is when I do DVD rips or convert video's. I'm yet to come across a game where it needs more than my old 955BE, though I'm very happy with my new chip. Only cost me $60 :)

Well I'm going to use onboard video but I might buy it anyway to be on the safe side and in case I get a dedicated GPU. Not sure though.

If I do get a new PSU, should I get an 80mm external fan for the PSU as well? While I don't need it, during summer season I would like to exhaust hot air from the PSU that comes from the 120mm fan pushing air into it. I've already done that with my current PSU by cutting an 80mm hole from the rear grill. I wonder if I should do the same to the new one in order to produce even better airflow.

Any thoughts?

If I do get a new PSU, should I get an 80mm external fan for the PSU as well? While I don't need it, during summer season I would like to exhaust hot air from the PSU that comes from the 120mm fan pushing air into it. I've already done that with my current PSU by cutting an 80mm hole from the rear grill. I wonder if I should do the same to the new one in order to produce even better airflow.

Any thoughts?
There's no need. The 120mm fan will create positive pressure, and since the rear grill is low restriction it will vent all the air that goes in. I wouldn't bother - it's designed to work properly with the 120mm fan and that should do a good job.

I'm just trying to figure out if the process is single threaded or multi-threaded, or maybe bottlenecked by something else. Sounds like it's multi-threaded. So it might benefit from more cores, but I still don't think it would be a huge difference.

My experience has been that a 4 core is more than fast enough for general computing, running multiple things at once, just so long as you're running Windows 7 or a Linux distro. XP just sucks when it comes to multithreading.

I love my 6 core though.... I've one of those widgets showing me all 6 cores..... I just like seeing them. In reality though the only time they get used is when I do DVD rips or convert video's. I'm yet to come across a game where it needs more than my old 955BE, though I'm very happy with my new chip. Only cost me $60 :)
after finally putting together my new machine, not trying to rub it in your faces, but if anyone out there who is in similar situation like mine, then I would recommend upgrading like i did.

my old 3-core system took 35 sec to open a file and 96 sec to save it!

now my new 6-core system took 10 sec to open the same file and 29 sec to save it!!1!!

notice the differences are about 3 times faster and all cpu meter shows all 6 cores being fully utilized!

that and the upgrade to SATA III and bigger better ram prolly made verything else noticeably faster, esp loading and switcfhing between multiples browsers with 10-20 tabs each...:attn:

Back