• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning old rig in server ? yes or no

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delta107

Monday I'll have all my components for my new rig. So I'll have a computer I won't use. Turning it into a server would be a good idea? how much ram would be enough? I suppose it might be a small gaming server or eventually my first site server. Thanks

For what you will proably do with that server, your specs are fine. My server is a P3 600MHz I found, 128MB SDRAM, and a 320GB IDE hdd I wasnt using. I use it as a FTP/HTTP server, and I am in the process of setting it up to handle all my downloads.

I have a wifi card in the server, I have it set to log in, and connect to the network by itself, then I manage it with Remote Desktop, so no keyboard, mouse, monitor... just sits in a closet with a power cord.

I always make sure it is ready to be used as a back-up PC in the event my primary rig dies, that way I can email, and research ways to fix the problem.

Your specs are more than enough. The rig in my server is overkill for what I do (ftp server and torrent downloader, well it does fold too). Like Oroka, it's headless and just has a lan cable and power cord, everything is controlled via remote desktop.

Go for it! If you are a gamer you can host your games on it for LAN Parties, Backup your data, run an FTP site, set up a DNS server, Host a website, etc.

It's always fun to learn new things and who knows what will come of the knowledge.

Depends on what you want to do with it.

I have sitting within 5' of me quite a few systems that arent my Main rig or my linux rig

Dual P3 450 (will be file server after some drilling and a bit of tinkering)
Dual P3 800 (is a server currently)
P3 1gig Smoothwall

and 5 other systems that are less then a P3 1gig (were going to be a file server etc but will probably be sold)

I have two servers...

one does my torrent downloading and hosts my site
800mhz
256mb ram
15gb hard drive

this other one (got for free) is going to be my dhcp server, domain controller, and mail server

2 x 2.0ghz xeon
1280mb ram
4 x 18.2gb 10k hot-swap scsi drives raid 1
dual power supplies
tape drive

my first server performs perfectly fine, while this second one is complete over kill, but I love it.

Yes, good idea. for lots of reasons. Learning, legitimate use, whatever.
For some applications, you will never need a lot of power behind the server... But for others, bandwidth is the thing hardest hit. Sounds like you will have more than enough. Just make sure to give it a clean install. Set visuals for max preformance, and give system processes higher priority than applications.

I for example have a TS server running on an old 950mhz celleron with 256mb of ram running win xp i think. Eventualy that is also likley to be a server for a headless network folding farm. I end up restarting it every now and then when im home from school.
(about once evry 100-120 days for windows update purposes)

My PC use progression goes like this: Gaming rig, retired to server, retired to node. Good luck with how you use yours.

Its fine for a server.

Mines a dual Pentium III 450Mhz with 512MB ram (soon to be 1GB) running win2k runing big apache

Before that it was
Pentium II 400Mhz with 512MB ram running win2k running big apache

Before that it was
Celeron 466Mhz with 256MB ram running win2k running big apache

Before that it was
Pentium MMX 200Mhz with 98MB ram running win98 (was an FTP server) running serveU ftp

Before that it was
Pentium P150 with 32MB ram on win98 for FTP running serveU ftp.

Not much is needed.
If you are gonna use it as a web server, Big apache is great. Its open source so its free. Also if you need a to forward your IP from a domain and you IP changes (as most ISPs do) check out www.dynDNS.org its free.

If you need help just hollar.

Well 2K3 is a great OS, but expensive. It also opens up a whole world of possiblities in terms of server uses that just aren't there with XP or 2K. Also it is a true server OS where the others are desktop OS versions.

XP has the benefit of being the latest Windows OS, so it will have better support and longer support thn 2K. 2K is a bit lighter (but XP can be put on a diet for server duty) and will be less of a headache if you end up switching around hardware often.

Captain Newbie said:
None of the above.

yeah, as I'm sure captain newbie would reccommend I suggest you run the secret x86 port of VAX/VMS beta 0.1, it comes on a range of media including IBM punchcards, open reel tapes and 5 1/2 inch floppies and supports up to 512kb RAM.

I wouldn't use Windows 2000 as it seems to be a real target for hackers now, I would say Server 2003 if you need the server extensions, Win XP if not. I would also suggest you maybe look into whether something like Ubuntu can perform the tasks you need, dual boot is always an option if the server doesn't have to be on 24/7.

I use XAMPP for my apache and mysql, and I use bulletproof FTP server for my FTP (because I know hot to use bulletproof). I use the no-ip DUP and a no-ip sub domain for a address to my server. You can get a full domain for like $15 and use it with your server even with a dynamic IP.

Oroka Sempai said:
I use XAMPP for my apache and mysql, and I use bulletproof FTP server for my FTP (because I know hot to use bulletproof). I use the no-ip DUP and a no-ip sub domain for a address to my server. You can get a full domain for like $15 and use it with your server even with a dynamic IP.
DynDNS is free. You get a domain name (not the best selection but its free) and its DNS server automaticaly pings your computer with an updator program to check your IP and update it into their DNS to forward your domain to your non static IP. Its great easy to use and best of all FREE.

I use it and am not dissapointed yet.

Thanks a lot for your answers! You convinced me that I should transform my old rig in server. Now I must find a good place for it and buy a case, and maybe a better internet ;) Now I must go and assamble my new rig ;) thanks again

2k3 has a 180 day trial period so you can try it out for a good while before buying. i got my copy free from my roommate. he was a cs major and it was given to him at a conference somewhere last year, along with a bunch of other software.

I sold the video card and ram out of my last gaming rig and turned it into a server. Now it has 5 HDs in it and folds/BT's all day long.

It also keeps my apartment warm!

delta107 said:
I also wanted to know what OS would be the best 2000 or xp? I suppose 2000, right? Thanks a lot

I ran a raid-based server for years with XP with almost no problems.
I recently (about a month ago) got the old rig running Debian 3.1 with a 1TB raid. I am not a *nix guru but install was still easier than I would have imagined. Messing around with high security stuff, ssh and sftp are pretty amazing. If you wanted something a little more user friendly, a friend here uses "webmin" which offers a gui config interface for almost everything he uses his server for.

Back