• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 600/BH6: Can´t get above FSB 100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john deere

Registered
I´m overclocking an Celeron 600 cB0/BH6 v1.1/MSI6905/BIOS SP-system.

So far I´m very pleased with the results. It´s stable at 901Mhz (1.85 v) and temperatures are fine. But as you probably understand, I want to know how far this old chip can go within reasonable voltages, which leads us to my problem:

I cant seem to raise the FSB to more than 100. Everytime I change FSB from 100 to the next level (105 I think), the computer still boot at 100 (9x100). It´s like the changes wasn´t saved to CMOS. Same with the FSB-speeds above 100, all the way to where the computer won´t boot without raising the voltage - raising FSB to a speed above 100 still boots my machine to 901 Mhz.

I have 256 Mb PC 100 RAM. Is that what´s holding FSB changes back?

Suggestions anyone?

/John

My as ask what your temps are?

900Mhz is not bad from a 600 cBo celeron Celeron...
you may have hit a wall with the CPU.

Make sure the "speed error check' is "disabled" in the BIOS. Not sure what else to tell you, 900 MHz is pretty good with a BH6 and Celeron cB0 600.

Batboy and jay,
I´m pretty happy as it is - a 50% raise is great. I´m just want to know where the roof is, so to speak. Finding the limits and then falling back to a nice stable speed. Reaching 901 Mhz wasn´t even hard (except for that Flash BIOS thing, which took me a good while to understand...lol). It doesn´t feel like I´m pushing the Celly to it´s limits, neither FSB-wise nor volt-wise.

Since the BH6 doesn´t have a CPU sensor, I did it the hard way. I put a digital sensor at different places around the CPU: Between the heatsink and CPU (37-38 C) and at the Intel measuring point, 0.3 inches above center of CPU-fan (35 C). Intels max temp at this point is 45 C BTW. I also monitor my system temp (31-32 C) with MBM 5. The onboard sensor is located about two inches from the CPU.

Speed Error Check is disabled and I don´t have the slightest idea of why FSB:s above 100 doesn´t get saved to CMOS. Weird.

Thanks anyway.

/John

mine has been stable at 112fsb with the sp bios for almost a year now. I am running pc 133 though.

Strange I have the same rig but it locks up at 112 booting into windows. Runs fine at 100 tho, this is interesting tho as I'm trying to install a celeron 1.1 but the multiplier wont go above 8 with that cpu. Is the sp bios newer than the ss? I'm running the ss now.

GL with 112

edit--I see the sp bios is for the bh6 1.1 board, I'm afraid I have the bh6 board, Thx anyway

Last edited:
I had a reg BH6 w/ ss at one point and I couldnt get it past 100 either. 1.1 seems to be a better board.

Just to find out, I've had my 566cel@950 for almost a year now. Asus p2b-f. 1.85 core. Thermister stuck under the sink clip and plugged into the board (34c. idle/38c sandra burnin). fsb at 112 with no problems. I have played at 117, but locked up with Photoshop and some other apps running. Went back to 112. How come mine was so easy? Just lucky?

Back