• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Metal Slug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
An older rig of mine is getting recycled into a new LAN rig thanks to some rather random inspiration. This project has only a few functional goals.
+ Small size
+ Ease of maintenance
+ Durability (will probably get moved and thrown a bit)
+ To not look much like a computer, inside or out.

What inspired this project directly is a combination of this case (Silverstone SST-TJ08-B) which used to only be available from Soldam in Japan, way back when I first got into case modding.
tj08.jpg
A desire to direct airflow onto specific areas
louver.jpg
A love for the aesthetics of the arcade game series Metal Slug (case will be built around this theme and generally take visual cues from the image below and others like it)
hmg.gif
And me wanting to make my first small bore watercooling loop on a very tight budget.

I'm going to be using some unique parts that nobody has ever used in a case mod before and that I have become familiar with through my workplace. A handful of custom machined plastic parts will be made specifically for this case and I will be milling and drilling most of the case parts before de-riveting the whole thing to send it to be powder coated. I want an extremely industrial look for the finished product, but without detracting from functionality of the end product.

Most of what is going into this project has already been ordered, so stay tuned for updates.

Last edited:
Guys...it's Captain Slug, he is doing a mod, we know it will be unbelievable. Subscribed.

Also, creative idea, and I'm very interested to see how this "Metal Slug" turns out.

Keep up the amazing work Cap'n!

Interesting...judging by your previous work this looks good.

I really do like the stepped case-feet on the sides, if you can get those.

I've already scalped all of the hardware I will need out of my old machine. The specifications for Metal Slug hardware wise will be

Pentium 4 2.6D 800mhz FSB
ASRock P4i65G
PQI 1gb PC3200 Dual Channel Kit
Geforce FX5900XT AGP
Seagate 160gb 7200RPM SATA HDD

Video card is prepped. This little block was going into Mk.6 EMP until I bought one of Eddy_EK's awesome full cover blocks. Nobody makes copper full cover blocks for FX5900XTs, but this will do just fine. Simply had to drill and tap new mounting holes in the top.
0000.jpg

Just finished making a Samurize config to match this project. I have a video LCD I'm going to recycle and use somewhere in this project.
sam.jpg
natewildes said:
I take it the reason you aren't using a whitewater is for tubing issues?
Pretty much yeah. There's not alot of room in the case for a wye.

I just hate to see anyone use a Maze4, when you can get a lot better performance for less :( On the other hand, you can make a much cooler, and captainslugalicious top for the Maze4, so I'll get over it :D

Yes I have to make a new top for the block because I don't trust acrylic. It will end up looking very similar to the GPU waterblock.
I bought the Maze4 for only $14 because
1. its top will be much easier to replace then anything else I can get ahold of cheaply
2. I need it to have 1/4" NPT for reasons that will become apparent later
3. The Via Aqua 1800 plus that I will be using doesn't have a high enough headrate to make the most out of a more restrictive block.

Last edited:
That is SUCH a cool Samurize config. I must have one for my new computer, whenever that happens. Seriously.

natewildes said:
That makes sense, and I take it you bought it used for $14?
Yes, bought it from the classifieds here.
Seven said:
That is SUCH a cool Samurize config. I must have one for my new computer, whenever that happens. Seriously.
If you need any help working the program let me know. I used to make alot of winamp skins and the process is similar, but much easier and more open-ended.
Here's a guide I posted in the Folding section on how to setup Samurize to monitor Work Unit progress.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=494563

SUPPLIES!

supplies.gif

Mcmaster is always so fast. Lots of goodies inside
0002.jpg
Handles for the top of the case
0003.jpg
And the T-line and pump adapter parts
0004.jpg
I had a much larger update scheduled for today but my microwave caught fire earlier this evening and made a stink of everything. Nothing else caught on fire though because I managed to get it out of the house pretty quickly. So the rest of the awesome SUPPLIES! update will have to wait until tomorrow.

natewildes said:
I just hate to see anyone use a Maze4, when you can get a lot better performance for less :( On the other hand, you can make a much cooler, and captainslugalicious top for the Maze4, so I'll get over it :D

Ask Robocop at system-cooling what the difference in temps between a maze 3 and a storm is on an IHS capped CPU. (i'll give you a hint about 1.5°c). Good blocks especially if you can get the rarer copper topped ones.

Nice to see another Captain Slug mod and this time he is even starting with a real case.

speed bump said:
Nice to see another Captain Slug mod and this time he is even starting with a real case.
Something I haven't done in 2 years. :beer:

I do have a copper-top 478 Maze3 but it's dirty and I can't get the screws out of it.

Last edited:
Back