• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Intel chip does 1 trillion calc./sec

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah, i read that either weeks or a month ago maybe,
remember even longer ago, IBM said that they had chips running at 300ghz

I think the think to probably consider is that both the teraflop chip and the 300ghz are more specialized than a x86_64 chip. The 300ghz chip was also being supercooled.

the teraflop chip is a real cpu that has 80 cores, running at 3.16ghz per core.

the 300ghz or whatever that IBM achieved was not a cpu at all, just a handful of transisitors. you need a couple hundred thousand transistors or more to make a cpu, and they all have to run in close proximity to each other. being able to run a few transisitors at 300ghz while using -255c to cool them really means nothing.

and OP, yes, this has been posted a couple of times already. its ok tho. :)

Yeah, thats sort of what I was getting at. As far as the terraflop chip, it is also more specialized towards that particular operation and who knows what instruction set it is using. I don't think it is any more than a way for them to have press releases that sound promising. Similar to this, graphics cards already accomplish similar goals in terms of processing power by using many simplified cores.

Here is an exerpt
The cores used on the research chip are much smaller and simpler than those used in Intel's latest line of chips

smaller and simpler cores which are most likely more specialized.

The research chip has 100 million transistors on it, about one-third the number on Intel's current line of chips.

Its not like a CPU the way we know it, but it certainly is good at floating point, which makes me wonder if the PC will start using several different specialized processors instead of a single general CPU. There are actually some trends and reverse trends that have been happening in this area. One example is graphics cards, in a sense, these have become like co-processors which specialize in graphics. In other examples, there has been talk of re-integrating the graphics card and processor, which is the reverse of the previous trend.

Last edited:
brakezone said:
In other examples, there has been talk of re-integrating the graphics card and processor, which is the reverse of the previous trend.

AMD's Fusion is looking to do exactly that, and it's not even a theory either. It's supposed to be out sometime in late 2008 or 2009. I think the emphasis is on mobile applications, but who knows what process shrinks could bring in the not-so-distant future.

Back