• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S SATA Drive won't Boot..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shrooms

I have a NF7-S with two 40gb IDE drives and one 120gb SATA drive. Windows XP refuses to boot off either drive now. After posting it displays, "Disk error, replace system disk and press enter." But the computer will boot fine with the Windows XP system disk in the CD-ROM drive. I can see and work with all three drives in Windows XP, so it is not a driver problem or SATA controller problem I don't think. I do not know what is causing this. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

So do you have XP installed on the 120gig hdd? If so check to see that you don't have a jumper on the back of the hdd. When useing a SATA hdd as your boor drive, you shouldn't have a jumper on it. If you don't have XP installed on the SATA drive, and I'm assuming that you want to use the 120gig hdd as the master drive. When installing XP on a SATA hdd you have to press F6 when windows setup is running. It will prompt you right after it starts running, so you have to just about have your finger sitting over the F6 key, cuz it doesn't give you very long to press it. I think the prompt says something like...Press F6 to install any third party drivers. After setup is finished loading it will prompt you to insert the floppy disk that came with your board and select the driver you need. After that, just let setup run & click "ok" when needed and you should be good to go. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Oh......and
Welcome to the Forums!!!!!!!!

I did the whole install windows with drivers.. the F6 thing. But i do have a single jumper in the jumper pins on the back of the drive. It is just on one pin though. Its not connecting two or anything i dont think.. so i should take that out? then try again..?

Yes, I'd take it off & try again. I had a similar problem to yours when I first installed a SATA hdd. In the user manual that comes with the board they make no metion of jumper position for SATA. After I removed the jumper it worked fine.

im trying mine now....i have one hard drive on sata and the other one ide and it cant find the sata hard drive....i took out the jumper pins too.....

I checked that drive and it turned out what i thought i saw as a pin before was just a piece of plastic so ppl wont put as jumper there. I flashed my bios with nf7-s revision 2.0 update 21. And now i can boot off my ide hard drive without the xp cd. (though it takes 15 sec between posting and the xp boot screen) But when i try to boot windows or install windows on the sata drive it says, "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk hardware." But i can still work with the drive in windows running from my ide drive.

Shrooms said:
I checked that drive and it turned out what i thought i saw as a pin before was just a piece of plastic so ppl wont put as jumper there. I flashed my bios with nf7-s revision 2.0 update 21. And now i can boot off my ide hard drive without the xp cd. (though it takes 15 sec between posting and the xp boot screen) But when i try to boot windows or install windows on the sata drive it says, "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk hardware." But i can still work with the drive in windows running from my ide drive.

dat D21 n D22 used sata 4243 from abit whicj hav some issue with SATA hdd... grab equito d21/d21 with sata 4227 some times it help...

Back