• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't open e-mail!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

I can no longer open my msn. NOt even hotmail! It freezes my puter I have to reboot every time. Even ctrl+alt+del does not work. I can safely go to any other web site but just not any msn stuff. What is the deal? (p.s. this started after I used windows update and downloaded the critical sys patch.)

bleh! i hate to bring this back from the dead but, i seem to be experiencing msn software freezing up and pegging my cpu to 50% or higher non-stop every time i open msn software to check my mail. it won't happen with just messenger active, but does with msn active. IE seems fine though. i tried reducing all running procs to a minimum, re-installed msn and messenger several times with various installed options to no avail. have checked for spyware and viruses as well.

the only thing i did not do is clean the registetry of any msn because i don't know how. can anyone diagnose this crap?

when i check task manager, it says msn.exe is pegging the cpu non-stop. this happens about 30 seconds after i open msn.

Have your checked for virii and spyware in safe-mode? Some have nasty habit of hiding well from these progs if they're running at the time of your scan, safe-mode avoids this.

It sounds like either a trojan is piggy-backing on the msn.exe and causing a constant pinging. Try removing msn completely then run an antivirus, anti-spyware and a registry cleaner. Then reinstall msn.

i tried scanning during safe mode and nothing came up. i don't know how to clean the registry of msn, though. is there a registry cleaner that can do that for me?

Msn

Wouldn't it be smart to just wipe it from your system, and then download MSN again? That's what I would do. Also, if you have anything saved, like conversations, it would be in the MSN folder somewhere in C:/

The main MSN folder is in \Program Files\MSN Messenger\ Also, there may be some in Application Data\ folder under the Administrator profile. Search for all instances of msn and delete those too, including the Received Files (back up if there are some things that you need). As far as in the registry, click start-run and type in "regedit" then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Microsoft - MSNMessenger and delete that instance. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Microsoft - MSN/MSNx(where x is the version)/MSNMessenger and delete all of those.

Even better backup and reformat...
Then scan all your backups befor reinstalling them.

I dont use msn. First thing I do after i reformat is kill msmsgs from the processes and delete it from my pc. (doing this after i update it to the latest) That makes windows update ingnore the fact its not even on ur pc, the craps still in the reg. Ive sworn to trillian so I'm good.

ok, i ran anti viris again and it keeps detecting this ysb_mp3[1].cab file even after i run adaware! norton cannot delete nor quarintine this file after it detects it and the location that it says is in cannot be located through windows explorer, nor the search feature. norton also says that it is a compressed file or something.

Back