• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick look over my computer build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DareMe55

Hello, I'm going to be building a computer when Ivy bridge comes out. I've built a computer, and would just like to make sure everything works well together along with a few questions. I mainly plan to use it for gaming and no overclocking. I also run on 2560x1600 resolution.

I was initially planning on getting the i7 3770k, but was told that hyperthreading doesnt really do much for gaming, so I am now planning on getting the i5 3570k to put the extra $100 toward my gpu. Im getting the evga gtx 680 when it comes back in stock. I have the corsair Hx 750 psu picked out.

I'm not really sure what motherboard to get. So far I've chosen Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271 I've never heard of ASrock before so I was a bit skeptical. Any suggestions for motherboard?

Also for ram, what is the difference between these 4(2 different gskill ripjaw, and 2 different corsair vengeance, they both seem the same):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233198
Planning on getting 12-16gb.

As for harddrive, I might just pick out a 10k rpm. Still unsure about SSDs.

edit: posted this in the wrong section. Trying to get it moved to general hardware
edit: moved.

Last edited:
There's gonna be a new chipset released along side Ivy Bridge.

I'd wait for more 680 reviews, but right now it seems like a good choice. Still wondering how a 670 would compare though, usually those 2nd tier cards are a lot better at price/performance.

HX750 you mean? Great choice.

Those all look to be about the same performing RAM, it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

Don't get a 10K RPM HDD. SSD's are by FAR worth it, and leave everything else in the dust. Best upgrade I ever did to my computer.

There's gonna be a new chipset released along side Ivy Bridge.

I'd wait for more 680 reviews, but right now it seems like a good choice. Still wondering how a 670 would compare though, usually those 2nd tier cards are a lot better at price/performance.

HX750 you mean? Great choice.

Those all look to be about the same performing RAM, it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

Don't get a 10K RPM HDD. SSD's are by FAR worth it, and leave everything else in the dust. Best upgrade I ever did to my computer.

ah, thats good to hear about the chipset. I could wait if its not too far off. And I might just choose the ripjaw X series. I am thinking about ssds still. Guess Im just nervous of it crashing.

The crashing thing was a isolated incident with a specific controller, and they've fixed the issues since then. I actually run the older version of that controller with zero issues for almost two years now.

Do you know what the new chipset will be called so I can do some of my own research? You could also throw some good SSD brands out while you're here :D

Personally, I'd go for a Sandforce drive, probably the OCZ Vertex 3. They're some of the fastest drives out there, but Intel is the king of reliability, it's a personal choice thing.

You don't HAVE to tweak, but there are some small benefits. Around here, there may or may not be a guide, but the general to-go place for SSD specific stuff is the OCZ Forums.

Well I meant on first install. Do you have to do anything specific?

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. There are several tweaks that you can apply to Windows to make things more optimized for a SSD. I don't remember them off the top of my head, but there is an extremely comprehensive guide on the OCZ Forums that's constantly updated.

The intel 520 is a sandforce drive. It's an excellent choice. Either that or the Cruical M4.

I'd wait until the new chipset and cpu's are released. Even if you still get a sandy bridge cpu the prices should come down a little, leaving you more for your gpu.
I agree with knufire. You pay a massive premium for top tier gpu's. I'd wait and see how the 670 performs before you make your decision.

Patience and research always pays off. Don't get excited and fork out for everything and then wish you'd gotten something different :)

The intel 520 is a sandforce drive. It's an excellent choice. Either that or the Cruical M4.

I'd wait until the new chipset and cpu's are released. Even if you still get a sandy bridge cpu the prices should come down a little, leaving you more for your gpu.
I agree with knufire. You pay a massive premium for top tier gpu's. I'd wait and see how the 670 performs before you make your decision.

Patience and research always pays off. Don't get excited and fork out for everything and then wish you'd gotten something different :)

Yea I'm waiting for the ivy bridges, and now that I found out about the new chipset I can wait for that. Also when is the 670 due to release? If its not too far behind Ivy bridge I could wait a little longer. But I dont know how much longer I can wait:-/

There's a long technical explanation, but the important thing to know is that # of channels = optimal number of sticks.

Most motherboards are dual channel, therefore two sticks of RAM is optimal. 4 is okay, since it is a multiple of 2,.it still runs. in dual channel mode, its just that more RAM sticks put more strain on the IMC on the CPU, so. it might be a bit harder to get that max OC.

Well as I don't have a motherboard yet, what would be the best choice for 16 gigs of ram? 2 8gb sticks or 4 4s?

8 gb is more then enough for 99% for people heck even 4 gb is enough but ram is cheap so i would recommend 8gb just get 2 sticks of 4gb each and if you really want the 16gb of ram then go for the 4 by 4gb because the 2 by 8gb sticks are terribly overpriced.

8 gb is more then enough for 99% for people heck even 4 gb is enough but ram is cheap so i would recommend 8gb just get 2 sticks of 4gb each and if you really want the 16gb of ram then go for the 4 by 4gb because the 2 by 8gb sticks are terribly overpriced.

I have 6gb now and constantly using 4gb+. I want to get 4 4gbs, but thats why I was asking about the quad channel ram on a dual channel motherboard. I was wondering if that would be a problem.

Back